• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leather Canteen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rifleshooter2

45 Cal.
Reaction score
After reading a few topics in here on leather canteens I decided to try making one. It holds 1 1/2 pints. I made the neck a little too small on the next one I'll go bigger that will make packing the sand and drinking better. I lined the inside with Cannin wax because I had some in the house. Beeswax or Brewers Pitch would be more PC but nobody but me and you guys will know :winking: . I'll be takning it on a parade tomarrow so I'll let you all know how the water taste after a nice walk
137_3763.jpg

Andy
Legion Ville Historical Society[url] www.legionville.com[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Andy:

We must be pretty close judging from your affiliation (Legionville). I am about 10 miles down the Ohio in Industry.

I have been making those since a guy showed me how at Old Economy about 15 years ago. Canning wax is OK, Beeswax is a little less brittle. I used to use pine pitch but it makes the water taste horrible. If you cut it with beeswax, it is tolerable. True Brewer's pitch which would work great is no longer available.

There was another very informative thread on this topic some time ago. Some guys heat the leather and soak it in beeswax, thoroughly impregnating it and making it waterproof.

Townsend and Son have brewers pitch in their new catalog at $9.00 a pound. I have made only one leather canteen, and I used brewers pitch. Their is no after taste, and I've had no problems with it.

Were pretty close I'm in Penn Hills. Myself and several guys from our group will be marching in the Baden Memorial Day Parade. If you have the time stop by and say Hi. The parade starts at about 10:30. I wanted to use Brewer's Pitch but I had the canning wax here and I'm always trying to do things with what I have. The whole canteen was made with scraps I had laying around.

Andy

I would like to know your secret with your pitch. Was the stuff you got kind of a golden amber color? The pitchI had was, and when melted it had a distinct pine aroma. (Got mine from Townsend too). I have a canteen that I made 7-8 years ago sitting open, and it still has enough of a pine scent about it that it imparts to the water.

The true brewer's pitch was a different animal. Stainless steel pretty much put an end to it in the brewing industry. This was the stuff that they used to use to line blackjack drinking mugs.

I had a wooden canteen once that leaked more water than it held. So I made an order with Townsen for some pitch.

I emptied the canteen and let it sit all day to dry out. When I came home I melted the pitch and poured it in. I figured if I put the stopper on I could just shake it and get good coverage inside. Well there was enough water to build up steam pressure and somewhere around the 4th or 5th shake it blew the stopper out and splattered pine pitch all over the kitchen wall.

I was up half the night cleaning it off the drywall so the wife wouldn't see it when she woke up.

What I got was an amber color. I don't remember any strong oder from it, and do not notice any taste from it, however, my canteen gets little use during the hot months. I carry it when hunting. If I made another, I might use the beeswax just to make the leather harder, if it indeed will do that.

MMMMMMMM 90 degree day. Long parade and the water still taste like water. Looks like Canning wax works.
137_3767.jpg

Andy

Wick,
It sure will make the leather harder. The canteens I make, you could probably stand on them. They are fully impregnated with beeswax and sound like a gourd when you knock on them.

Excellent job on the stitching! Good looking design, and nice leather. Is that veg tan cowhide?

Thats Veg tanned cowhide. The wax soaked through the leather darking it a bit then I rubbed the outside with more melted wax.
Andy

Hey rifleshooter,

Really good looking canteen. I got a couple of bota bags that I sometimes carry when I go out with the Scouts, but I would like to have a more "correct" canteen for those occasions that warrant it.

Do you have plans/pattern? I was going to do ball bags of similar construction, just haven't done it yet. When you do the canteen, do you wax the leather first, or are you pouring melted wax into the canteen? When you say you'd go bigger in the neck, how big do you think would be good?

Okay, I guess that is enough questions for now. :redface:

~Riley

WEll let me answer your questions in order

1. Do you have plans/pattern?

No I just cut out a shape and size that fit the leather I had

2.When you do the canteen, do you wax the leather first, or are you pouring melted wax into the canteen?

I poured the wax in after it was stitched and shaped that way it fills the seam also.

3. When you say you'd go bigger in the neck, how big do you think would be good?

I ended up with a neck only 1/2 inch in diameter I'm leaning to 3/4 to 1 inch for the next one

If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask just remember this s my first one and I sure don't have all the right answers
Okay, I guess that is enough questions for now.

Andy

Back