• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Learning from mistakes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Coffins

69 Cal.
Reaction score
In this case from a friend, he was trying out a new heavier load in preparation for a 200 yard match and it was going poorly. He kept reducing his load till he was down to the light load that has worked well in the pass. Now that same load scattered shots all over from the bench rest. He also tried a different patch lube and could hardly pound the ball down. Nothing was going right. As we talked it came out that his patch material was a fresh batch that he had washed as usual but they were ragged black fragments laying on the ground. He had bought this at a Hobby Lobby that I had been in yesterday. I said I saw that and read the end tag on the bolt, it is made of polyster! He will have to get some cotton ticking and start again after he cleans his barrel.

In this case from a friend, he was trying out a new heavier load in preparation for a 200 yard match and it was going poorly. He kept reducing his load till he was down to the light load that has worked well in the pass. Now that same load scattered shots all over from the bench rest. He also tried a different patch lube and could hardly pound the ball down. Nothing was going right. As we talked it came out that his patch material was a fresh batch that he had washed as usual but they were ragged black fragments laying on the ground. He had bought this at a Hobby Lobby that I had been in yesterday. I said I saw that and read the end tag on the bolt, it is made of polyster! He will have to get some cotton ticking and start again after he cleans his barrel.
He must be new to muzzleloading. It was beat in my head............cotton, cotton, cotton, micrometer, micrometer micrometer.
Hope he didn't slime his bore up.
Thanks for sharing.
Larry

He must be new to muzzleloading. It was beat in my head............cotton, cotton, cotton, micrometer, micrometer micrometer.
Hope he didn't slime his bore up.
Thanks for sharing.
Larry
I also heard the cotton, cotton, cotton mantra. But I also succumbed to the siren call of linen, linen, linen when 100% cotton patches were reduced to shredded flakes of black threads. It's hard to find 100% linen from flax with a tight weave. It took several years of shooting with linen patches to take the sharp edges off the lands.

Latest posts

Back