• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leaning towards a Jaeger ???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nessmuck56

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Theses Jaegers have caught my eye !!! What length of barrel is common with these rifles ? Also what cal. Would be best for balance and a lighter overall weight ...54-58-62 ?? Some pics would be great ..thanks !!

A barrel no longer than 30" (some were as short as 20")and the largest caliber you can get. .62 is 20 ga. and ball molds are pretty common for that size.

While not being a historian on these guns, I have read that earlier 18th century Jaeger rifles were a little longer with barrels averaging 30" and calibers in the upper 50's. These were originally hunting rifles. As they were developed more for military uses, they became shorter and of larger caliber into the upper 60's.

I built mine (pictured in the other post and really a "plain jane") using a 31" Rice Swamped barrel in .62 caliber. The swamped barrel, which was also used on original rifles, provides very nice balance.

Balance and weight is more than just a function of caliber. Overall barrel dimensions and configuration (straight, tapered, swamped) in addition to how big the bore diameter is for any one of those given factors play into overall weight.

If you do some internet searches you'll come up with all kinds of pictures. Track of the Wolf has several listed for sale right now. I have seen other members here post pictures of some real beauties they own and also some original pics. A search on this forum may bring some of those up.

well said spikebuck, here is mine in some bad photos,it is a 62 cal. with swamped colrain barrel.
IMG_3846_zpsb495c2d3.jpg
IMG_3842_zps387b3ce4.jpg
IMG_3841_zpsa9ed4a6e.jpg

Nessmuck56 said:
Theses Jaegers have caught my eye !!! What length of barrel is common with these rifles ? Also what cal. Would be best for balance and a lighter overall weight ...54-58-62 ?? Some pics would be great ..thanks !!

Though I don't own one, I REALLY like Jaegers as well. However, they are not really correct for my period and geography in history.

So if I may be so bold as to offer another suggestion for you to consider, have you ever looked at Jim Chamber's Kit "English Gentleman's Sporting Rifle" circa 1740-1750? http://www.flintlocks.com/rifles05.htm

I had the pleasure of handling a rifle in .54 caliber assembled from this kit in a very plain style, last fall. I was very pleased with how this rifle could come up and swung so nicely. The trigger guard and wrist on this stock were made for fast/quick shooting and the gun "pointed" and sights aligned like a well fit shotgun.

If you are not interested in this style of rifle, then my apology for mentioning it. I just thought from your description of how you want to use the rifle, it would really fit your requirements well.

Gus

Last edited by a moderator:
There are many misconceptions about Jaegers.
They were varied. No broad brush can cover their characteristics. e.g. "long barreled", "short barreled", "big bore", etc.
I have a standing free offer to e-send a great article about Jaegers from a 1971 American Rifleman magazine articles. PT me your e-maill address and I'll send.

i really like the looks of that English Gentleman's Sporting Rifle. now see what you have done, now i will be dreaming of that one...man man man

From what I've garnered over time and research, these are some points;
- calibers ranged from 62 to 75, with 58s being seen, but not common, after the minie rifles became tech's bleeding edge.
- barrels were hand welded, hand filed and hand rifled, with lengths around 26 to 32inches.
- sights were often more complex that the kentucky's, with leaf sights being common
- the patch box was wooden and sliding, not metallic and hinged like Kentuckys.
- the trigger guards might be steel, brass, bronze or even wooden.
- carving EVERYWHERE!
- the end of the forearms seem to bell out a bit, giving a blunderbussy look when seen at some angles, this is cool.
- as one got closer to the central plains of the nations later to be known as Germany, the guns got fancier and with more metalic decor, but to the river Rhine, they were not as fancy, with some in the Netherlands/Limburg/France being downright stark. Stocks also tended to the darker toward the Rhine. Towards the Alps and Switzerland, carved wooden equivalent parts often were used where other areas guns might have metallic parts.

Although there was no real standard Jaeger, there were military guns with the Jaeger name for Jaeger units, with the lowest common denominator of traits mished up into one gun that was contracted for manufacture, normally with the standard musket as a base.
The most famous, most produced, and obviously non-German, is the Baker rifle from the UK. If there was ever a standardized Jaeger, it was held by a guy who spoke the King's English, not German.
But if it were up to me, we'd all speak Esperanto. :blah:

Back