• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

LEAD

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poordevil

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I wanted to share this with you all.

I went looking for lead here in YUMA today and stopped by a scrap yard. The only lead they had was lovely butter soft roof flashing. Weighed in at 49 lb. I wanted it. The fellow told me it had been there for ages....I said , good then you will give me a deal on it!.......comes back with the price ...READY?...$240.00!!!! OK thank you.

Went about 5 minutes away to another scrap yard and bought 39 lb. for a whopping $3.90! 10 cent a pound!

Some of it is melting on the stove as I write this.

P

Just shows to shop around. I have bought 150 lbs off ebay and have been using it a while now and am very happy it

Well, if my calculations are correct in figuring about 185 grains per ball (slag and spilling etc) for a .50 cal, the first price will cost about 13 cents per shot (lead wise), while the better price is only .26 cents per shot. You could shoot 4 shots for a penny. Maybe prices like that are why we shoot so much more than the center fire guys. :thumbsup: Bill

So you bought the 49 pounds at 240 dollars? :shocked2: That is almost 4.90 a pound.

While roof flashing seems butter soft it is not truly butter soft. In fact it is between 7 and 8 BHN for the stuff I found. Pure is 5 BHN.
Ron

I once got about 1,800 pounds free. The problem was it was a single piece and I could not saw or drill it (they didn't want the lead hazard). I know it was a joke on their part (it was a piece of a huge sailboat keel) but I did get some satisfaction when I found a course-set hand plane would curl a nice bit of lead each pass. I filled several three-gallon pails that way.

I take it that he bought the lead at the better price. If he had bought that expensive stuff, I doubt if he would be bragging about it. :rotf: :rotf: Bill

Stumpkiller said:
I once got about 1,800 pounds free.
You got a good deal :thumbsup:. I didn't do quite so well, but not bad . . . 980 pounds of sheet lead for 9 cents a pound. BUT at least it wasn't all in one piece . . . a bit less labor intensive :v .

Idaho Ron said:
So you bought the 49 pounds at 240 dollars? :shocked2: That is almost 4.90 a pound.

While roof flashing seems butter soft it is not truly butter soft. In fact it is between 7 and 8 BHN for the stuff I found. Pure is 5 BHN.
Ron

No sir re Bob! I took the 10m cent a pound stuff.

"cost of labor figures"

Oh there was some figures in there all right,,

I think he musta figgered poordevil just got off the boat! :haha:

Wow!, Did you tell this guy he aughta check the goin rate, or just walk out?

Wow!, Did you tell this guy he oughta check the going rate, or just walk out?[/quote]

I did not walk....I ran out of there.

The other folks are now my go to source for lead. I know some folks here get lead for free, but 10 cent a pound is almost as good! :hatsoff:

Be on the look out for cheats and gougers

p

perhaps he didn't want to sell it to you for fear that you'd turn it into evil bullets which you'd shoot through a GUN and that this would degrade your self esteem and result in the moral downfall of the Nation.

(no kidding- i actually had someone tell me this when i was dumb enough to admit that i wanted to cast roundball for my flintlock rifle. the lady went on for a good ten minutes with her Sara Brady tirade and told me that i was personally responsible for the high murder rate in the inner cities and so on... it was right out of the HCI handbook. i was so impressed, i asked her if she could do the same thing with the 23rd Psalm, and then i got outta there before she turned me into a newt.)

anyway, i'm glad that you found a decent price... there's nothing here in southeasten Vermont.

i guess we're in a lead free zone. i'm sure we're in a common sense frfee zone.

i live on the west coast. there's a lot of SCUBA divers around here. i just put the word out that i wanted old divers weights. they don't use the big lead blocks anymore. old technology. they are more than happy to get rid of it. i've collected about 50 pounds in the last couple months. all for no cost. the search continues.

Ron - since you seem to know something of relative hardness, do you know where shower-pan sheet lead ends up? Just got 100lbs from a Tile Contractor Buddy who just redid a Bathroom for a client...seems pretty soft...

Eric

ericb said:
Ron - since you seem to know something of relative hardness, do you know where shower-pan sheet lead ends up? Just got 100lbs from a Tile Contractor Buddy who just redid a Bathroom for a client...seems pretty soft...

Eric

I have never tested it. If you wanrt me to test it for you you can send a small piece or even just a single bullet and I will test it for you. Ron

Thanx Ron - when I get this cut up & get some Balls cast I may take you up on that...

Eric

Other guys from this board have sent me lead for testing. I am happy to do it, and it only takes a small amount to do it. Ron

Back