• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lead, think about this next time you shoot!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that deerstalkert! I had no idea how much was involved obtaining Galena - 3,000 lbs of ore for 100 lbs of lead. What a process!

And, yeah, those caverns are something else!

I remember those metal tubes, too, but they were made of tin, not lead...

mhb - MIke
I remember my first lead i played with as a child came from the seals on bottles of Maderas wine. My dad served that a lot, and he gave it to me to make slingshot pellets. I used to carry them in my cheek when out using them.

Except the many pounds (tons) of scrap being recycled by all of us (and unmentionable cast boolit shooters). All my wife's stained glass scrap goes downrange.
My wife is starting to worry that our place will be classed as a toxic hazard. i have been going to build a sand bunker for reclamation for years, but the frost heaves pop the stuff up in the spring , making it easy to just go out and "Graze" for the lead! picked up 100 RB of various size Sunday!
guess i have my own lead mine.

And when I was way younger I remember my tooth paste came in (LEAD) tubes , still here and still handling lead !/Ed
No -- - but even MORE useful was that they were made of TIN, which was very useful for hardening bullets ;-) Now, of course, they are plastic so get dumped to pollute the world ;-(

Sheffield got the idea for the tube from his son, who had traveled to Paris and saw artists using oil paint from metal tubes. The first toothpaste tubes were made of tin and lead, and remained basically the same until a metal shortage during World War II. The War Production Board restricted consumer use of many types of metal, including tin, lead and aluminum, creating a potential crisis in the toothpaste tube industry.

When I was an apprentice Steamfitter in the early 70s all jobs had plumbers melting lead for pouring joints on large soil pipes. I made more decoy anchors than I could use using beer cans (which were numerous) and a piece of their brazing wire for the loop. I still have a few 5# ingots after all these years. Great video, but I know in 1720 I would think how the lead was mined and smelted would be different. Or was lead found ready to melt and cast RBs?

When I was an apprentice Steamfitter in the early 70s all jobs had plumbers melting lead for pouring joints on large soil pipes. I made more decoy anchors than I could use using beer cans (which were numerous) and a piece of their brazing wire for the loop. I still have a few 5# ingots after all these years. Great video, but I know in 1720 I would think how the lead was mined and smelted would be different. Or was lead found ready to melt and cast RBs?
my first job "helping my father was packing joints with okum (sp) while my father melted the led with a gasoline (contained lead) pot furnace!
child protective services would blow a seal , if they caught someone abusing a child like that today!
if it shortened my life i Aint noticed! after all memories are our life right?

Liberals want to get rid of all traces of a material that is a naturally occurring element, in the earth.

I remember in the movie, Sgt York, during the shooting contest for the beef critter, the prizes fro the top 5 place shooters was the 2 front quarters, the two hind quarters and the 5th man got to dig the lead out of the tree.

Well I have to admit to being old because the fillings I got in my teeth as a kid were removed and replaced when I got older because they had lead in them. I'm gonna have to build a bullet trap so I can recycle! :thumb:

Back