• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Last of the Mohicans

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yip, looks like Ben Stiller,talks like Ben Stiller,is the son of Arthur Stiller. :grin:
Other theme.Movies like 'Last of the Mohicans',The Patriot' and so on are not make for people like us. :hmm:
I will say that 99% of the folk who watch these movies didn't know the difference between a Lehigh,Bucks County,Early Lancaster,Virgina Rifle,New England Fowler or a Tulle Fusil de Chasse.
They didn't know that there is differnece between a Mountain Man and a Longhunter.
I know this thread starts with: How long was the long rifle carried by DANIEL DAY LEWIS?
But.....

:hatsoff:

Claude said:
undertaker said:
Yip, looks like Ben Stiller,talks like Ben Stiller,is the son of Arthur Stiller. :grin:
Ben Stiller is the son of Jerry Stiller and Anne Meara.
:redface: :redface: :redface: :redface:
You are right Claude.Jerry plays Arthur Spooner
:redface: :redface: :redface: :redface:

What a pitty, the offer is not available in Kan-tuc-kee.

Has it occurred to anyone that we have been discussing LOM for 15 years? We have been panting over the Patriot for nearly 10. And we have erked at Eckert for nearly half a century. Folks are still quoting one liners from the 30 year old movie about "the evil one" in the Rockies.

It's about time for another one. Interest has been falling off lately and we need young blood in the educational activity/sport/hobbie/addiction. Even the better sites have falling attendence in both participants and visitors. We can straighten them out after the movie reels them in.

ghost said:
Interest has been falling off lately and we need young blood in the educational activity/sport/hobbie/addiction. Even the better sites have falling attendence in both participants and visitors. We can straighten them out after the movie reels them in.
Did you know the average age of ML-shooters? :hmm:
In Germany you must be 21 years to get the licence for buying BP.The ML guns are free to buy at 18.No licence[url] needed.In[/url] my gun-club most of the guy's who shoots ML are over 50!The youngest one is 32.
I think sometimes these 'Young Guns ' have NO PATIENCE.
They will have a rapid firing gun.Not one of these 'Old Firing Sticks'.But when they see e.g. a beautiful made Bucks County or a Lehigh, they get infected.They will learn when they get older.I hope, they will go older.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interest has been falling off lately and we need young blood in the educational activity/sport/hobbie/addiction.

Interest? We ain't got no interest. We don't need no interest. I don't have to show you any stinking interest!" :grin:

Alfonso_Bedoya.jpg

ghost said:
It's about time for another one. Interest has been falling off lately and we need young blood in the educational activity/sport/hobbie/addiction. Even the better sites have falling attendence in both participants and visitors. We can straighten them out after the movie reels them in.

Well we'd need another remake of LOTM or perhaps one of the Patriot, but it's too soon for either. Say, they haven't done Northwest Passage lately, or Jerimiah Johnson. :hmm:

I agree something new is needed. How about something on Arnold's trek to Quebec? That should be interesting, even if we weren't victorious. Or maybe the Sullivan-Clinton expedition. Another possiblility would be Jackson in Alabama. Horseshoe Bend should create some conversation if not controversy.

Don R

I like that Horseshoe Bend idea, Cherokee Cheif Junaluska saved Jackson's bacon at that one (probably scalp too)

Blizzard of '93 said:
I like that Horseshoe Bend idea, Cherokee Cheif Junaluska saved Jackson's bacon at that one (probably scalp too)

The Battle of Horseshoe Bend had many tragic twists and turns before it's culmination.

It was not only the Cherokee Jackson had as Indian allies, there were also Creek warriors with a grudge to settle. It was the Ft. Mims incident which brought down Jackson's retribution on the Red Sticks Creek at Horseshoe bend on March 27, 1814.

On August 30, 1813, the Red Sticks led by Red Eagle had attacked the American post of Fort Mims near present day Mobile, Alabama, where White Americans and their Indian allies had gathered. The Red Sticks took the fort and a bloody clash ensued, over 250 prisoners, including women and children were killed.

The Creeks had been engaged in a civil war betwixt themselves, then got caught up in the War of 1812. The Upper faction was led by William Weatherford (Red Eagle), Peter McQueen and Menawa violently clashed with the Lower Creeks led by William McIntosh. (Scotch traders had intermarried early on with the Creek and some of their offspring also became Creek leaders)

The Battle of Horseshoe Bend was also where Indians suffered their greatest defeat and incurred more causalities than any other in American history. 550 Red Sticks were killed on the field, while many more died trying to cross the river, all told, over 3,000 Upper Creeks died before the war ended.

My gr-gr-gr grandfather fought there (Horseshoe bend)...I don't think there has been a movie about it since the Davy Crockett series on TV?

Is this taking into account 'The Battle of Fallen Timbers' where Tecumseh and his band were defeated? I'm unsure of the actual number of dead but it was one-sided extremely.
Thanks for the info about Horseshoe Bend. If you are ever in Western North Carolina Cheif Junaluska is buried just outside Robbinsville, his gravesite was cleaned up and a marker and monument placed there by the DAR or some such historical commitee. Been a long time since I was there but it's just outside town.
That would make a good movie, the Creek War and Horseshoe Bend battle. Seems Junaluska had some hundreds of warriors with him, the Creek and Cherokee tribes had been warring for hundreds of years, there was a big battle around 1700 near Fletcher, N.C., in the Hooper's Creek area involving those 2 tribes.

Mike Roberts said:
My gr-gr-gr grandfather fought there (Horseshoe bend)...I don't think there has been a movie about it since the Davy Crockett series on TV?

I too would like to see a vetted historical movie about the Creek War.

At the surrender of the Red Sticks, Jackson said that William Weatherford (Red Eagle) was one of the most impressive leaders he had ever met. Jackson afterwards said: "This man is fit to command great armies."

After the surrender, Red Eagle was a hunted man, many Creeks and Whites both sought to kill him. Jackson took him under his protection and had him taken to his home in Tennessee, where he remained a guest for over a year.

When passions had cooled, Red Eagle returned to his plantation and became very wealthy and successful for the remainder of his life.

Blizzard of '93 said:
Is this taking into account 'The Battle of Fallen Timbers' where Tecumseh and his band were defeated? I'm unsure of the actual number of dead but it was one-sided extremely.

Tecumseh was only a young warrior there, not the leader at the Battle of Fallen Timbers, the leader was Shawnee Chief Blue Jacket. Tecumseh would not become a leader until years later. It was he who incited the Upper Creek and started the Creek civil war.

The known causalities at the Battler of Fallen Timbers for numbers invloved, were actually quite light, each side had less than fifty killed on the field of battle. (estimates of 200 Indians killed and 400-500 wounded were commonly accepted, but remain unproven)

The greatest defeat ever suffered in one battle for American's by Indians, was on November 4 1791, where General St. Clair met the Indians under the leadership of Miami Chief Little Turtle and Shawnee Chief Blue Jacket on the Wabash River. Known as the Battle of, St. Clair's Defeat, the "Columbia Massacre," or the "Battle of the Wabash, where more than 600 American soldiers and scores of women and children were killed.

How about something on Arnold's trek to Quebec? That should be interesting, even if we weren't victorious..... "

There is a document about it :

http://history.cbc.ca/history/?MIval=/EpHome.html&episode_id=5〈=E

But it would be more satifying to see Richard Montgomery
blasted by Capt Chabot and ltd Picard on a Hollywood
special effect budget !

Montgomery burned my ancestor's village in 1759 ....

Claude, currently the description of this forum reads: "Discussions concerning Books, Articles, Diaries, Authors, Television Specials, and Movies dealing with History." That would seem to open it wide up, from the journals of Lewis & Clark to Fess Parker and Michael Mann.

I've been pretty happy with the category as it exists, and it's one of the forums I read regularly. As long as everyone is clear when he's talking history and when he's talking fiction, I think both can coexist.

If it ain't broke...

" two categories" would be ok, but this works out ok for me. Fred :hatsoff:

I've discussed having two categories, one for historical fiction and another for Primary Documentation.Your thoughts?
Two separate categories, I agree. a dedicated forum for primary documentation would be fantastic. perhaps a bibliography to kick it off?

well about northwest passage, there was suppose to be a sequel but it never happened.

Latest posts

Back