• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Last day Pa.Doe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rf50cal

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Flintlock Deer 2019 1.jpg

Bear with me, first time I posted a photo. Daylight of the last day found me in a ladder stand in a fencerow along a soybean field, looking to fill my doe tag. The stand was back in the fencerow against a large white pine. I had only trimmed enough branches from 10 o-clock to 2 to create a shooting lane across the field.
At 7:15, 4 deer appeared along the edge of the fencerow, only 30 yards to my left. No air moving, it was dead calm. I slowly moved my rifle to the shooting lane, hoping they would continue past me. Despite wearing wool clothing, they heard me. All eyes were pointed at my tree. After what seemed like a long stand off, the deer started to move forward. Right through the shooting lane, one of them looking my way at all times. They stooped behind the branches to my right. I couldn't believe it, 4 deer less than 20 yards away, and it looked like I wasn't even going to get a shot. Another stand off took place. Finally, curiosity got the best of the lead doe. She turned and walked back toward the shooting lane, stopping with just her head exposed from the pine branches. She gave me the once over for what seemed a long time. Eventually she had enough, turned and started to trot, quartering away for me. I pulled up the rifle, but had to wait til she was 45 yards away before she cleared the pine branches and I could shoot. When the smoke cleared she was down. Broke three ribs behind the shoulder on the right side, passed thru and broke one rib on the left. A lot of damage for a round ball. Only a doe, but still an exciting hunt. I got more satisfaction from this hunt than the large buck I took at 150 yds in Dec with my modern rifle. Picked up this rifle at the Lewisburg show seven years ago, and this was the seventh deer I've taken with it. Lucky for me, curiosity killed the deer.

Last edited:
You have an excellent triad, a really nice rifle, a handsome pouch, and a fat last-day doe. Congratulations are in order. :thumbs up:

The rifle was built by Allen Martin, inspired by an original, signed Michael Aldenderfer 1810. It was part of a display of Berks County rifles held at the Berks County Historical Society in 2009- 2010. It's a .50 caliber with a Getz 44 inch octagon to round barrel. Weighs less than 7 lbs. The bag was made by my son, Eric Fleisher. Thanks for asking.

Back