• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Large lead shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some years ago I sold a pound of shot to someone local, but I never really understood the logic. At that time, 25 pounds of shot was about twelve bucks. I sold him a pound for three bucks (his price). Why not just buy a 25 pound bag and keep it for a rainy day? I bought three bags some years back and still have most of it. I store it in old cookie tins. I think maybe they will bury it with me just to get rid of it.

For turkey, you are better off with #6 - #7 1/2 shot. A single pellet to the head is all that is needed to kill one, so the denser the pattern, the better. Expecting to shoot through the wing or spread tail feathers doesn't work out often, regardless of shot size.

Some years ago I sold a pound of shot to someone local, but I never really understood the logic. At that time, 25 pounds of shot was about twelve bucks. I sold him a pound for three bucks (his price). Why not just buy a 25 pound bag and keep it for a rainy day? I bought three bags some years back and still have most of it. I store it in old cookie tins. I think maybe they will bury it with me just to get rid of it.
It's running at least 50 buck a bag these days, if you can find it. I've seen it here for 85 bucks a bag. As far as I know it's still on the dealers shelf.
I know it’s gotten expensive for 25 lbs just to try some loads

For turkey, you are better off with #6 - #7 1/2 shot. A single pellet to the head is all that is needed to kill one, so the denser the pattern, the better. Expecting to shoot through the wing or spread tail feathers doesn't work out often, regardless of shot size.
I’ve found that even at closer range smaller size just doesn’t penetrate. I’ve shot over 40 turkeys and one thing I’ve learned is u can’t overkill them. They r tough. But thanks for ur input

This is the correct answer. I have killed coyotes at 40 yards with 6 shot.

He's only looking for a small amount in the beginning, so I figured it would be a quick way to get the shot.
It is. I guess I just hate the idea of wasting the rest of the load. A friend gave me a half dozen, or so, boxes of 12 gauge unmentionable hunting ammo that I'll likely never use because I bird hunt with 20 gauge. I just can't bring myself to cut it up to save the shot, and primers.😀

It is. I guess I just hate the idea of wasting the rest of the load. A friend gave me a half dozen, or so, boxes of 12 gauge unmentionable hunting ammo that I'll likely never use because I bird hunt with 20 gauge. I just can't bring myself to cut it up to save the shot, and primers.😀
I do understand that, but if you are in need of some shot for a ML and can't find any loose shot it may be a good option. Honestly speaking if your goal is just to take a turkey just use the unmentionable. Fortunately, I have plenty of shot for my ML shotguns, but I have no #4s or I'd let him have some, #6 and 71/2s is all I have

One thing I have done before is take smokeless shot shells and cut the shot out of them and use. I have not done that since inflation has taken off. But I seemed to always have had shot to.

Latest posts

Back