• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Large Bore Fowler - Input and Thoughts?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently sold my .62 smoothbore, and I am looking to replace it. I am considering a larger bore like .11 or .12 ga. I have several rifles, and use a smoothbore strictly as a shotgun for birds, clays, and an occasional turkey hunt. I will not be shooting ball, and I thought the larger bore would be better suited for my favorite pursuits, just as I prefer a modern .12 ga. to a .20 ga. Any thoughts?

The bigger the better with fowlers---to a point. I have a 10 bore fowler with a 34" bbl. that is just the thing for flying birds or turkey. 90 gr. 2f & equal shot gives a real nice pattern at 25 yd. Open choke of course. Try a big one I think you'll like the amount of pellets it will put on paper compared to a 12 or 20. ....Tom

this' it. 7.5 lb.

Thanks, Tom. I actually have a short-barreled .11 ga. that shoots very well, despite its' "20 something" barrel. I got several dove with the .62, and it broke clays well, but I thought, like you, that bigger would be better. Jim Chambers has a nice looking Colonial Fowler that is available in .11 ga. I already have a ton of cards and wads that will work.

If you go with a kit that offers multiple bore sizes or choose just a barrel , check to see if they are the same O/D. If so, always choose the largest bore offered. The smaller bores are much too heavy.

I've seen those big Chambers fowlers---THEY ARE NICE. I've had those long bbl. ones and love 'em but a shorter bbl. swings better in the field on fast flying birds. For me anyway.

i use a 12GA folwer with a 43" barrel, made out of an inida made musket with a spain 12GA barrel and a tunes flint lock - shoots like the devil!

jaallover1.jpg

ike

Capt. Jas. said:
If you go with a kit that offers multiple bore sizes or choose just a barrel , check to see if they are the same O/D. If so, always choose the largest bore offered. The smaller bores are much too heavy.

1+ :thumbsup:

Go with the larger bore...unless you are having a custom barrel turned....the bigger bore will weigh less.

It's easier to down load a larger bore than to up load a smaller one.

Assuming it is for shot only.

37" Rice 10 ga. Oct-round tapered and flared bbl.
7 lbs 8 oz. balanced..fast to point....Dunlap kit, Chambers lock, walnut wood..steel trim,horn cap.

20a2d83f-ad06-4fad-8857-21f73f9808e3_zpscedbc0ae.jpg

Do consider that the 20 ga. is far and away the most popular size for smoothies. There must be a reason.
But, this is America and, of course, bigger is better. :grin:
Really, this game is a do yer own thing avocation. I have an 11 ga. and love it. I also have a 20 ga. and it has become my #1 smoothie because it is smaller and easier to handle. I actually shoot very similar charges and loads in each so powder and lead consumption is not a factor for me.

Rifleman1776 said:
Do consider that the 20 ga. is far and away the most popular size for smoothies. There must be a reason.

possibly that most people try to shoot their smoothbores with PRB and a 20 bore is not as huge as a 12 bore ball but still gives an adequate shot pattern.

The O/P wants to use the gun for shooting flying and not shoot punkin balls at all. Most likely you will find less deformation as well.

Correct, Capt! I think the .62 is popular because it is also the favorite smoothie for shooting ball. I was in Tip Curtis' shop last week, and he prefers the .54, but again, that is for ball. I have other rifles, so I know for certain that I am only going to use the next smoothie as a shotgun. Thanks to everyone for the great advice. I like the Chambers Colonial, but I am still open to suggestion.

lonehorseman said:
Correct, Capt! I think the .62 is popular because it is also the favorite smoothie for shooting ball.
You are probably right about that in today's world, but the 20 had its advocates for shooting flying in the early days. Thomas Page, 1767:

"To a barrel of a middle-sized bore, whose diameter is about five-eighths of an inch (which I look upon to be the best size for shooting flying) [.625"] I put in two ounces of shot, No. 4, [equivalent to #5 1/2 modern American shot] which are about 200 in an ounce, and an equal measure of powder. [4 1/2 dram/123 gr.] This is the charge I use in the field."

That said, I have a 10 ga. percussion double which does a very nice job at shooting flying.

Spence

Do you want a double?
Was thinking about handling characteristics for a gun that gives more than one shot.
A 12 ga. double barrel can be very handle and light weight.

Well you would be historically correct, many of the fowler shown in Grinslade’s “Flintlock Fowlers” book are of .70 cal. or larger and the barrels are often 48” to 60” or longer.

Swinging such a long barrel must have been fun. Of course when hunting for the table, bigger was better; They could always blast a lot of duck sitting on the pond. :shocked2:

For modern wing shooting, especially with steel or the other environmental friendly shot, I would think a 12 ga. would be fine and as you can see it can be built into a well balance gun.

What a lot of people don’t understand about wingshooting is that when you miss your target you miss by feet not inches. So a bigger bore or more shot is not going to make up for a miss. If you hit flying targets with the center of the pattern you don’t need to be shooting 2 ounces of shot to down it.

A well fitted, balanced, lively swinging gun is more likely to get you more hits than a bigger bore. I have taken a fair share of quail, pheasants, ducks, doves, and grouse with my 28 gauge trade gun because it fits me and it swings well. This is just one man’s opinion, but you should get a gun fitting, take a few lessons on wingshooting, and get a gun that is made to your measurements. You made see you don’t need a big bore to do a small bore job.

I'm in the process of building the 12ga right now...its 46" swamped cylinder bore barrel goes on for ages...and for anyone's curiosity...YES, the barrel OD are the same for all gauges, and made by RAYL...the 10ga being the lightest. I handled a 11ga at the dixon's gunmakers fair, and it was beautiful and easy to swing. The 12ga is suppose to weigh close to 8lbs when finished.

The difference in a gauge in a black powder gun yields the same change as a change in gauge in a modern gun. The larger the gauge, the more shot you can put out at your target. If you are hunting birds and breaking clays, I'd suggest something like a 10 ga. Unless you buy one that has chokes, you will have a cylinder bore and you will need all the shot in the air you can get to be sure that you hit what you are aiming at. But, there are ways to tighten up your pattern even with a cylinder bore. If you need info on that, just PM me and I will explain my "paper cross cup" method for tightening your pattern.

If you already have an 11 gauge, I would stick with the same gauge so that you can use the same wads.

Personally, I think anything over 12 gauge is overkill. When shooting clay birds you are not going to be using anything approaching the maximum load. A lighter load will break just as many clay birds and it is a lot easier on the shoulder. The same holds true for most of the upland birds.

I had looked at the average bore size for English sxs guns. Most sxs guns by Joe Manton had bores of less than 14 gauge. If the Brits managed to kill birds with their little smoothbore guns, we can too.
http://www.muzzleloadingshotguns.com/articles/howmuchgunisenough

Last edited by a moderator:
Update...Thanks for all the great input. I really wasn't sure what I wanted, I just missed the .62, that I sold. As stated by some, I do have the little .11 ga; but, being a true Kentuckian, I really love long-barreled flinters.

I still had not made up my mind when I visited the big CLA show last week, and went there hoping to get some ideas. My idea of getting the Chambers .11 ga. was quickly laid to rest when Jim told me to expect at least a year-long wait on a barrel. Plenty of .10's and 12's, but NO .11's.

Then, I found the most beautiful .62 smoothbore I had ever seen But, my idea of buying it was quickly laid to rest when the seller priced it at $20,000.00! LOL Just a bit out of my price range.

Near the end of the day, I discovered a perfect, older .62 in the middle of a table of horns, bags, etc... 46" octagon to round barrel, great metal to wood fit, big, strong lock, mid-grade maple stock. It was obviously built for a long armed fellow like me, and shouldered better than any of the guns I own. I think the seller was liquidating his father's estate, and he knew virtually nothing about the gun. The builder had initialed a barrel flat, but even though the seller had asked numerous other vendors, no one could identify it. Every crack and crevice had collected a 1/4" of dust from hanging on a wall for years, and no one had bothered to even wipe it away. Long story short, I got a bargain. After the purchase, Jim Chambers identified the round-faced lock as one of his older locks, and a friend identified the initials as those of Jack Garner. (It's funny how that became so obvious after he pointed it out.) Knowing Garner's reputation as a quality builder, I am even more happy with my purchase. Great gun. Shoots great,and dove season is just around the corner. My sunflower field is coming on strong!

Jack does indeed have a sterling reputation in the front-stuffer community. have owned several of his guns, including a very early .32 tree-rat exterminator from the days when they were located in Corinth, Miss. Think you'll like yours. The .62 is a good middle of the road caliber with plenty of bore volume for small game and upland birds. Might be a touch light for long shots at turkey & geese but shouldn't be a big deal for you. Good luck in your endeavors! :thumbsup:

Back