• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ladies Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunmaker43

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Done with this one today, for a nice lady in MI. .45 cal. DeHaas oct-rd. X 26" bbl. Russ Hamm lock with L&R forged mainspring. Curly maple with LMF honey maple stain. Steel trim, single tgr. 4 lb. 7 oz. Comments ?.....Tom (not everyone can hold up a 44" long rifle you know)

Looks great from here. :thumbsup:
I'm in Michigan, I could "test" it for ya :grin:

Cool. :hatsoff: Wish you had posted a few more pics close up so I could see more detail. You can never post too many pics, you know! :grin:

Is the Octagon section proportionally shortened or is just the round portion shortened on a barrel like that?

I've been churning in my head what might be appropriate to build for my grandson sometime in the next couple of years. Maybe for when he turns 12 or 13. A special build like this one gives me some ideas. Thanks for posting. :thumbsup:

I ordered this bbl. 26" 7-1/2" oct the rest tapered round with a very slight flare at muzzle.

Nice build. Great choice in finish. I really like the orange / red transition.

Have you shot it yet? Wondering how snappy that gun might be with the weight of it.

That is a sweet looking little rifle! Good choice on the Honey Maple finish.
The sunshine, palm trees, and what looks to be a blooming fruit tree that are also in the picture looks pretty good too!! :grin:

I've always admired your work Tom. That's certainly ongoing with this great build! Keep it up, and lucky is the person to own one.

Little lite for me, but lady wanted it that color. I am concerned about recoil---less 5 lb. loaded, could bite ! I put that flat buttplate on for that reason. She's only going to hunt targets, so a caliber load (45gr.) there abouts should do it fine...thanks for nice words, Beleive it or not I'm making one very much the same...ONLY IN 8 BORE .829 ! some people....Tom

If the recoil is too much for her you could think about installing one of those mercury filled tubes in to the stock. It will change the balance of course. I put one of those in my 375 H&H and it made all the difference between shooting it, and dreading to shoot it.

But I would think that if you keep your loads around 25-30 gr. FFFg and a PRB it should be quite tame without it.

Back