• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

LA Bess 1728 Ramrod Threads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I did a forum search but did not find a similar Q&A post so my apologies if this has already been asked and answered.

THE SITUATION: My big beautiful 1728 "transitional" Brown Bess from Loyalist Arms (for F&I War and RevWar living history) has arrived, and I am currently acquiring all the necessary tools and cleaning equipment to properly maintain it. I emailed Loyalist Arms to find out the thread size for the ramrod and they replied that it is threaded for "10-32/ 5mm fine." So I ordered the various 10-32 adapters available at Track of the Wolf, which arrived this past week.

However, when I try to screw the 10-32 female adapters onto the male end of the 10-32 Loyalist Arms ramrod, I'm finding that they are just slightly too small, and that they will not go down very far without jamming and damaging the threads. Am I missing something here, or did I order the wrong size adapters? I'm not a machinist or gunsmith, so my skills in elementary muzzle loader "fix it" issues are very minimal.

So do I need to take the ramrod to a machinist and have the threads slightly reduced so that the adapters will screw on, or is there a way I can do it myself?

Or should I just order different sized adapters, or else find another cleaning rod with a 10-32 male end? I don't want to damage the threads on the Bess ramrod, so any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

TR

I'm afraid I can't be of much help. I bought the parts to add the steel ramrod to my 1728 Long Land Pattern Musket. The ramrod was not threaded and extra-long so I could cut the rod to the exact length for my musket. I had to turn the tip down a bit to cut the 10-32 threads I wanted. Your rod is probably threaded for the 5mm threads. Take the rod to a full service hardware store such as ACE and measure the threads on their thread testing gauge. You might be able to run a 10-32 die over the threads you have, but the threads will be weakened by the alteration.

Back