• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

L&R replacement lock for Dixie Tennessee

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weirdjack

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone here replaced the stock Dixie flintlock on their Tennessee Mountain rifle with one of the L&R RPL locks? If so, how do you like it? How does it compare to the stock lock in actual use? It appears to be better constructed, and the geometry looks good. I do like the looks of the L&R double-throated cock also.
I am planning on doing just that now to upgrade my .50 Dixie a little after all these years. It shoots okay with the stock lock, but I'm thinking the L&R lock would be a nice improvement for not a lot of money (and a little fitting).
I may as well order one while TOW has free shipping and the price is still great on it.
Jack

I took a good luck at the L & R myself. It most definitely had a better geometry. I opted to modify the original by heating and bending the hammer. I went the cheap route. The lock did function better but I wanted to sell the Dixie so I could have a more period style rifle for my persona. My dixie was a great little shooter!
:results: :m2c: :thumbsup:

My Dixie locks have performed better than my L&R locks. The L&R are not "dropin" locks, there is some fitting. If it were me, I would save my $$$. If I just had to replace, I would buy a Chambers lock, and make it fit. :applause:

Okay, after hearing on another forum from a couple guys who had actually replaced their Dixie Tennessee locks with L&R RPL's and been very pleased with the results (and since my Blues band has been playing more lately and I had some extra cash) I went ahead and ordered the L&R replacement.
With all due respect, I'm looking at it now and there is no comparison between the original Dixie and the L&R. The L&R has more meat on the working parts, better polish, better design, better fit, and a silky smooth action (at least working it by hand).....so far: just plain "better" as far as I can tell with it outside of the gun.
Now my Dixie lock functioned fine as far as firing the gun. Last weekend in around 50 shots it only pan-flashed once and that was my fault. But it always ignited the prime. I did have to knap the flint one time in around 50 shots :) So yes, it fired reliably for the most part, but my Dixie lock just has not been all that quick.
Looks like I need to open up a little of the bottom on the lock mortise to clear the meatier components of the L&R, but that's no real work. I'll install it this evening and see how it sparks, where it sparks, and how it functions in the gun with the triggers set and unset. Then Saturday morning I'll go out to the club and see how it shoots.
It looks so nice from the factory that I'm just going to leave it in the white and let it age naturally...no browning.
Jack

put a flint in it and try it for sparks before you fit it to the gun, holding it in your fingers, this way if it doesnt spark very well you didnt alter your gun to make it fit... :imo:

Thanks for the advice....that is what I normally do first with any new lock, to be sure it functions. It's throwing good hot sparks directly into the pan. I was impressed with how well aimed they are.
The L&R RPL is not exactly a "drop-in"...but I didn't expect it to be. The lock plate is the same, so nothing was required for that. But the mortise had to be deepened in some places to clear the wider mainspring, the new bridle, & it's screws. Not a big deal, but necessary.
It functions quite well....very quick. Now I am in the process of getting the set triggers to work well with it. A little material needs to be removed from the bottom of the sear bar to adjust things is all. I first shimmed the trigger assembly out to see how much adjustment was needed to get a safe engagement of the sear and still have both triggers function properly. Not much adjustment needed...but some. I just take it slow so I don't remove more material then is necessary. It'll be all set for firing trials Saturday.
:results:
As an bonus, the new lock really enhances the look of the Dixie Tennessee Mountain Rifle.
Jack

L&R makes some really good locks. I like the fact that Bill jumped up and offered replacement locks for some of these guns.

I have an L&R (not an RPL) and I like mine a lot. The only thing to watch now is the possibility of it lessening in giving those sparks which would require a rehardening of the frizzen. If that should happen, send it to Bill and he will make it right for you. This happens to many frizzens from various manufacturers.

Good luck with your new lock!

CS

I opted to modify the original by heating and bending the hammer. I went the cheap route. The lock did function better but I wanted to sell the Dixie so I could have a more period style rifle for my persona. My dixie was a great little shooter!

I did the same to my Dixie hammer so the flint strikes the frizzen higher up and it made a big difference!

#1 - I opted to modify the original by heating and bending the hammer.
#2 - I did the same to my Dixie hammer so the flint strikes the frizzen higher up and it made a big difference!
Cool...that's great! Mine wasn't a case of the Dixie lock not sparking. It was quite reliable as far as igniting the prime went. Like I said, a few reasons had me replace it: (1) The lock is designed with a long throw and (2) The pan & plate were eroded from years of flash, the mainsrping was starting to get weaker, (4) internal parts were getting worn. Basically, it was simply getting worn out after all these years. It was time to either rebuild it or replace it. I opted to replace it and I do not regret that one bit. $125 flat from TOW, a few minutes fitting, and the L&R replacement works great! Faster lock time, stouter components, nice pan & frizzen, etc. It functions very well in the Tennessee. I even got a couple of 10x shots offhand for a change Saturday. It does seem to function quicker. And it even adds something to the looks of the Tennessee when compared to the original lock.
Jack

And it even adds something to the looks of the Tennessee when compared to the original lock.

I had considered the L&R at one time but was not really sure about the style they chose for their hammer :hmm:

LRLock.jpg

By hammer, do you mean the cock or the frizzen?

They both look pretty good to me. I believe that Bill can sell you something else if you call him. I understood that the cut out was not done on some at one time.

CS

I'm looking at Tennessee rifles in general and thiking the "cock" seems too ornate with that cutout.
Didn't see any photo come out of photobucket...but I assume you prefer the S shaped cock like Dixie's original lock has.
I like the looks of the reinforced style. It's only slightly more fancy than the reinforced style cock on my 1763 Charleville. :)
I'm thinking that it's a "replacement lock"....just like it would have been a replacement lock back in the day. And "then" I just might have replaced a worn out original lock with one that had a stronger reinforced cock. Oh wait, that is exactly what I did! :)
Looks like there would be an S-shaped cock from L&R to fit these RPL locks also. You'd just have to ask about them.
It's a grand thing to have options....and differing tastes.
Jack

Back