• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kit Recomendations for novice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcbif

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello. I'm getting a muzzleloader rifle kit for my 4-h fair project this year. It will be a kit so I will build it which will be documented as part of the project. I have a few questions first though for people with experience with muzzleloaders. One gun I was looking at was a double trigger model/W adjustible sights and was about$220.
The other gun they were out of stock and will be getting next month, has a single trigger and is slightly smaller barrel w/ non adjustable sights for $180. I heard they are good for hunting but heard people say the firing trigger can be dangerously light. I may get the cheaper kit and upgrade to adjustable sights if I dont get the double trigger kit. They are both traditions rifles.I will be using strictly for target practice. Any advice appreciated!

4-H has some fine shooting sports, including muzzleloaders. Lets find out where this young man is and see if there is someone with experience in his area that can act as an advisor to this project. What do you say, fellows?

Bill

The double trigger will work either way. You can just squeeze the front one like a regular trigger, most guys use it that way for hunting, gloves.
When you're target shooting you can first aim at the target then squeeze the rear trigger until it clicks. This sets the front trigger and turns it into a hair trigger. You then make sure your sight picture has remained steady and just touch the front trigger and BAM she goes off.
Either way you decide to go, be safe and have fun! Good luck with your project. And welcome aboard! :hatsoff:

If you are going to use the rifle only, or mostly, for target shooting, I would recommend both the adjustable sights and the set (double) trigger. While fixed sights can be adjusted by drifting and/or filing, it is not easy and not for the inexperienced. The adjustable sights will, I am sure, be much more satisfying.

Once you have used a set trigger for target shooting, you will not be happy with anything else. Just my opinion, for what it is worth. :yakyak:

In any case, good luck with your project.

Thanks all for the welcome. I like the sound of the double trigger because I sometimes throw off my aim when I squeeze the trigger and this sounds like it may help. I'm getting my gun from a place called "the log cabin shop" which has lots of experienced shooters and builders along with the accesories I'll need. It'll prob. be another month or so because I'm guessing my dad will want me to look at the other rifle once they get it in stock.

Something for you and your father to think about. If you spend the extra $50.00 or so for this kit you will have a rifle to be prowd of that will last you for the rest of your life and can be passed down to your som some day. And you can get it in 50 or 54 cal. Do a search on the Lymsn GPR and look at Aerio41's rifle he put to gether and you will see what I am taking about. For just a little more it is so much more rifle.
[url] http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000156031111[/url]

Good luck with your build,
Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
You and your father need to read this post.
[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/199353/[/url]

Robert

You may be surprised at how well prrmitive sights work, drifting and filing are not rocket science and this type of sight is good for the range that a ML will be used formthe most part, and they are the typical type of sights used on this type of gun.

Welcome aboard!! keep us posted with your project!! Lots of good advice here from experiened builders. Lots of good past and present posts to read and get educated. Ask away! don't feel shy or intimidated by the all the good folks here!

I'v had two Traditions rifles( well my girlfriend does) both are excellent little guns. Most single triggers will have a small screw in the plate that will adjust the pull. Lyman GPR is better if you can afford it.If you're dealing with log cabin,Oz and Rick know their stuff, Dan just wants yer money! :thumbsup:

The Lyman Great Plains Kit would be a good project for you. I had no experience with building a rifle and was able to tackle this project and come up with a muzzleloader that I am proud to call my own. It was easy enough that I did not get frustrated with it and challenging enough that it gave me the confidence to try other projects. Good luck and keep us posted with what you choose.
Scott

First off Welcome fellow Ohioan! You have come to the right place to research your project. There is a lot of wisdom floating around here. A word of caution though. You might get so addicted to this site it might cut into your homework. :winking: :hatsoff:

I think the man at the shop showed me the lyman rifle but I lost intrest once I saw the price. I shouldered the traditions rifle and it fit pretty good. I'd like to get a rifle that is alittle better but my parents control my money even though I make it, so I got some talking to do.

rcbif said:
I think the man at the shop showed me the lyman rifle but I lost intrest once I saw the price. I shouldered the traditions rifle and it fit pretty good. I'd like to get a rifle that is alittle better but my parents control my money even though I make it, so I got some talking to do.
I'd start sucking up for the GPR if I were you. :grin:

The GPR is great... you may also want to look at the Cabela's Unfinished Percussion Hawken kit. They are a bit more $318.00 and bit flashier than a GPR, but also make fine shooters.

Dixie Gun Works also has several kits at various prices.
[url] http://www.dixiegunworks.com/default.php?cPath=22_162_192[/url]

Traditions kits are a good choice for a first build. They need just enough fitting to make them a challenge, but they're usually accurately cut so that they don't need any re-engineering. For target use, I'd suggest the double triggers. This lets you adjust your trigger pull down as light as you feel safe with for target work, yet you still have the option to shoot the gun with a heavier, unset trigger also. Adjustable sights are a bonus as far as I'm concerned, as they take a lot of work out of the sighting in process. Good luck on your project and if you need any help or have any questions, this is the place to ask! :)

If I may suggest-- having your parents do a little research--even start here with these posts might pay[url] off....In[/url] my humble opinion, if you want to build a gun from a kit you cant find a better production gun/kit than the Lyman Great Plains in a 54 cal flintlock....It was this very gun that got me hooked on muzzleloading. It is the best and safest blackpowder gun on the market today with the look of yesterday. If this gun is going to be used to hunt or target shoot with and you were my son or daughter I would not be worried about a few dollars here or there to cut costs....that is unless this gun is to simply hang on the wall never to be shot. Please get back to us as to your and your parents decission. Congratulations on having parents that take a keen interest in your education and hobbies----you are truely lucky in todays busy world. :thumbsup:

Add my vote to the Lyman GPR too if you are still shopping around.
You'll get a lot more gun for a little more money. :thumbsup:

MidSouth Shooters Supply regularly gets mentioned for the GPR kit, but you can find them for less with a little internet searching. I've seen them for under $250.

Back