• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kids' length of pull

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbwilliams3

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm planning a commission for a short rifle for my son's use when he gets older (he's only two now). I would think something in the 10.5"-11" range would suffice for a young man. However, ideally I'm sure we'd all like to have him shoot it for years.

In general, what's a decent length of pull for kids that's not too short for pre-teens / teenagers but maybe not too long for a younger child? Maybe it's a foolish question but I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks!

James

You'll have to make up your mind whether you want a childs sized rifle or a young man's rifle.

In order for a child up through 10 or so to use a longrifle the barrel will have to be short and light. Muzzle weight is the big concern os octagon round profile barrels are good. Your suggested length of pull is about right. The main consideration with a child, besides gun weight, is the fact that their heads are disproportionately big for their body size and this is compensated for by having more drop to the stock than the average adult rifle or a style is picked that already has exagerated drop. It's tricky to build a good child's gun.

For a young adult, say 11 and up I would go for a 12 to 12.5" length of pull and not worry so much about head size. Likely he'll be able to make due younger than 11 and grow into it and depending on genetics and what have you, likely he'll be shooting through high school. Especially with winter weight clothing on.

I'm building a Lehigh for my 11 year old daughter right now. 38" octagon to round .45 caliber barrel with a hair over 12" length of pull. She's above average height/strength (soccer goalie) for her size and the gun fits and ballances well...but she still has a little room to grow.

Good luck in your decision. Enjoy, J.D.

When we introduced our kids to black powder it was thru a club, with the rules involving kids already established it was easy to jump in.

Until the 12th birthday the "PeeWees" are allowed to shoot off of cross sticks " X " after that they shoot offhand. With this in mind I shortened the buttstock on a TC .45 bout an inch and a half or so.

Both my kids shot that muzzleloader until they moved up into the "Junior" class, at that time I bought a Seneca .45 as it is the perfect size for offhand shooting for the kids.

Now that my kids are mid/late teens I am finishing their "Adult" rifles.

Not trying to turn you away from the commissioned piece, just tossing out another consideration, sold both of those muzzleloaders for what I had in them and was able to get them back into circulation hopefully for the next set of "PeeWees"

JBWilliams
With some experience fitting kids to guns I would recommend going easy on stock drops for a youth. Most kids I have fitted needed a fairly high comb due mainly to a short distance relationship between cheekbone and eye. I can get some measurements of drops and lop off my sons old gun tomorrow if you pm me a reminder.

Capt. Jas. said:
With some experience fitting kids to guns I would recommend going easy on stock drops for a youth. Most kids I have fitted needed a fairly high comb due mainly to a short distance relationship between cheekbone and eye.

Thats good stuff right there, didn't need to worry about it with the factory rifles.

:thumbsup:

"for my 11 year old daughter right now. 38" octagon to round .45 caliber barrel with a hair over 12" length of pull."
When my son was 9 I went with just over 12" too, and it suited him well for years.
You'll find with the young ones, they're very happy with something that's just plain shorter then the typical 13.5+ you find on many adult size stocks and adapt just fine.

It wasn't till 16 that I swapped out his components to a full size stock, every year proir I'd ask and he said he was content,, and he was still winning matches so I didn't make the move.
When I did change the stock he did make a comment about how much better it felt,, just a story to tell ya there's alot of flex with youngsters.

Unless your after National rankings, a full custom fitted stock isn't needed,
Just get'm shooting and enjoying it, :wink:

My 5 foot tall wife has an old Dixie Cub "youth" rifle that fits her and Dixie lists LOP at 13 1/4 inches. Although my preferred LOP is around 16", I can shoot the Cub well enough even though it feels (and looks) like a toy when I do. :grin: It's a well-made and accurate rifle.

On the non-ML side, the little Crikett 22lr rifle designed for kids lists the LOP at 12". Hope this gives you some guidelines.

When you commision the gun, the builder might have experience with proper LOP for a growing child. Good luck.

Jeff

PS: When introducing little kids to firearms, I've found that muzzle weight is a bigger factor than LOP as long as they can safely reach the trigger. A few home-made bean bags for a front rest can be a big help.

For custom kids guns I copy the old daisy red rider proportions. I add lead to the butt right under the buttplate to help balance the barrel weight.I had a good supply of 13/16th 45 caliber barrels which made a nice light rifle for kids.The T.C. cherokee's are highly sought after by many of us looking for a rifle for the grandkids. :idunno:

I always shot my dads guns when I was 8 all the way up until well still today. But then again I was 5'10" in the 4th grade. My kids now that are 8 shoot a 32 cal squirrel rifle with an 11 inch stock and they do ok. It is a bit long but manageable from the bench. I havent let them try off hand yet, still working on the basics of shooting fundamentals and safety first.

The problem with fitting a gun to a kid is, the kids grow and the rifles don't. :shocked2:
When my boys were small, I was fortunate to own a gun shop that specialized in ml'ers. I bought inexpensive H&A underhammers. The stock could be removed with a long screwdriver. I simply cut down the stock to fit the boys. As they grew I added the cut-off portion to the rear. Did not look nice but that was not important. The full stocks could be replaced as a part but were so simple in design one could be made in a home shop by almost anyone. Bottom line: go cheap; cut; chop, enjoy.

Capt. Jas. said:
...With some experience fitting kids to guns I would recommend going easy on stock drops for a youth....

I agree. Maybe I should have phrased it differently. It's more a proportion thing.

Since the whole gun will be scaled down through the wrist and buttstock, you would not be using the same drop as an adult's rifle, it would be less because of proportion. I didn't mean to seem as though I was suggesting a 4" drop at the heal with a 11" length of pull. But I would avoid building a pattern where the comb is normally higher.

Thank you for clarifying. Enjoy, J.D.

Back