• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler's Hunting Pouch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do leather work as a hobby…. For myself mostly. I will just say that kit may not be for everyone … but it is quality items. Quality leather is expensive. You can find cheap leather and tools on Amazon or eBay but it isn’t like that.
I think for someone that wants to try and make a quality bag and be proud of it you can’t go wrong with that kit.
that’s my .02 cents.

IMG_0390.jpeg
IMG_0699.jpeg

Not trying to undercut Mr. Kibler but do a search on Amazon for tooling leather and a stitching pony and you will see that there are way cheaper options. The only plus on the Kibler bag is that the leather is pre-cut to shape. But I have to give it to him for bringing it to fruition and hope he has success in this venture, and he will.
Can you link me to the Amazon leathers that offer cheaper options?

Exactly! There's a lot that the naysayers aren't thinking of.

Wonder how they will make out cutting a strap out of that Amazon bargain 🤔
I'm not a naysayer just a cheap ass realist who doesn't have money to throw at a simple project. You can also buy a nice leather bags on Etsy
https://www.etsy.com/listing/674425...44f1-982e-74b61ac11bca&organic_search_click=1Cheaper, they are handmade and you can still buy the items I listed on Amazon for the $155 plus shipping?

Like I stated earlier I am all about getting the most for my money, I try to support any local business I can but if I can save money in this day and age I am going with the savings. I bought an item at a rendezvous a few weeks back, my cousin was there and said you can make that at home but the guy I bought it from was a friend and I was trying to help him out. After I purchased it I realized that I could make several for what I paid for it and kind of felt like I just got screwed and I did but I supported him, first and last time though. I'm sure anyone can dig around on the interweb and find better deals than the 5 minute search I did. Mr. Kibler has a good idea and is no dummy and I'm sure he has this all figured in and there will be those that buy into it and those that will gripe about it. I figure he will sell the hell out of them.

I think there are many options for some of the posters who have no interest in the quality kit Kibler is offering. There are plenty of ladies purses in thrift store bins, a couple substandard "kits" out there, high end art offerings from craftsmen, machine sewn bags off the peg, and quality bags from a few unknown hobbyist beginners who are giving away their time in selling a bag at cost to buy more leather or tools.
There's something for everyone at all points on the spectrum.

Thanks for all the kind words. In truth all the credit goes to James Rogers as he is responsible for everything involving the kit. We are simply the seller.

As James mentioned, there are lots of choices for those wanting a bag. I will say, that sales have been quite good since this has been introduced and I expect it to be a popular addition to our rifle kits.

One again, all the thanks to James for producing such a high quality and professionally put together kit.

All the best.
Jim

Thanks for all the kind words. In truth all the credit goes to James Rogers as he is responsible for everything involving the kit. We are simply the seller.

As James mentioned, there are lots of choices for those wanting a bag. I will say, that sales have been quite good since this has been introduced and I expect it to be a popular addition to our rifle kits.

One again, all the thanks to James for producing such a high quality and professionally put together kit.

All the best.
Jim
It appears to be a great bargain! The time and money spent trying to duplicate that would greatly exceed the asking price.

So the suggested Amazon search shows me 105 for comparable leather and I get around 65 for comparable tools and parts on Amazon less the buckle which will need to be had from somewhere other than amazonland for another 6-8 bucks. The leather still needs cutting into all the parts, holes punched, buckle slot made, all sides of billets edged. To do these procedures you need to buy even more tools and you are already at 175-180 bucks. Maybe cut a few more corners and get a chump awl or junk thread. Also make sure to match your harness needles to your thread and awl.

So the suggested Amazon search shows me 105 for comparable leather and I get around 65 for comparable tools and parts on Amazon less the buckle which will need to be had from somewhere other than amazonland for another 6-8 bucks. The leather still needs cutting into all the parts, holes punched, buckle slot made, all sides of billets edged. To do these procedures you need to buy even more tools and you are already at 175-180 bucks. Maybe cut a few more corners and get a chump awl or junk thread. Also make sure to match your harness needles to your thread and awl.
You are correct, sir, as Ed McMahon used to say!

It is what it is just like it is. My point is not to dissuade anyone from buying the kit but to educate in other ways and to search for other cost saving options, for some it is a great deal for others they will dive deeper into the rabbit hole like me and look for less expensive ways to procure any item in the hobby we pursue, which is expensive if you are just getting into it, and it is very much so. Kudos to the Kibler group for adding an option to the plethora of the many out there.

I just think the average guy that needs one hunting bag isn’t going to spend $155 on a kit, even if it does include some tools he might never use again. like I said, to each his own.

Well, regardless of anyone's motivations or needs, This kit will appeal to a certain people who would like to have some of their own effort put into their bag. They don't want to dive into leather work as a long term hobby, they just want a one and done! Like jim said, sales have been good. Probably driven in part by this topic. For every poster on these forums there's ten or more who don't or only rarely post. They saw this and knew it was just right for them despite all the armchair experts here who think that creating a quality product is just a matter of the cost of materials.

I dove into this when TC Albert came out with his book. A person who has never worked leather before will be floundering figuring out how to do this so if your smart you will add $26 plus shipping to your budget when you order your materials to build it yourself

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/267/3/BOOK-R18-CHP
I got the minimal tools and studied how to use them. Got good quality leather and learned how to cut out a pattern. Learned how tricky just punching holes can be. Spent hours and hours stitching. I'm faster now but there is a learning curve and it still takes a lot of time to saddle stitch a bag.

First bag I made was over twenty years ago and if I adjusted the materials and tools cost to today's dollars and if I only wanted to make one bag, that $155 would seem like a good deal and I'm betting a good number of people are going to see that clearly just like they see the value in the Kibler rifles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back