• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler SMR Kit Arrived

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not sure just how quick I will get to working on this. It's a 40cal, Extra Fancy wood. I had just received my 58cal rifled Colonial kit with standard wood, just a couple weeks ago now. That one is for a class coming up soon.

I tried to pick up the curl in this stock with the iPhone. Jim said it needed a toe plate. So I found one. Looks like it will need three screws to me. As soon as I can get some spare time I'll be working on it.

IMG_2645.jpeg

IMG_2646.jpeg

IMG_2647.jpeg

IMG_2648.jpeg

IMG_2649.jpeg

Although the burn marks on the wood will get removed in assembly, I am shocked they are there. For a machine made piece that is poor.

Still plan to get one though.
Yea that's too bad. Hopefully he can sand them out or remove them with aqua fortis.

Although the burn marks on the wood will get removed in assembly, I am shocked they are there. For a machine made piece that is poor.

Things happen. And Jim gave me a nice discount. I had responded to their recent email. The toe plate, once fitted, will cover that, if it is even still visible.

Shocked? The OP purchased a second, although not clearly stated in the original post. I have built 3 and doing a 4th soon. The quality of the kit is impeccable. Especially when compared to other kits offered from other suppliers. You will not be disappointed.

I put the same toe plate on my first SMR. BECAUSE I damaged the toe. I was
unhappy with my inlet because it was not as precise as Jim’s in letting. Being a stickler for perfection, I redid it with a longer plate from MLB that was flat across the ends.

Note for those wanting to do a toe plate, pay attention to the width of the stock. Not all suppliers are wide enough.

All my subsequent kits get the butt plate installed first so the VERY delicate end of the toe doesn’t get damaged due to my carelessness!

Shocked? The OP purchased a second, although not clearly stated in the original post. I have built 3 and doing a 4th soon. The quality of the kit is impeccable. Especially when compared to other kits offered from other suppliers. You will not be disappointed.
I thought he was just making a Joke saying the Curl was burn marks. I don't see anything wrong with that wood at all!

Jim's email of 4/23 offered up a number of blemished stocks at a discount. Guess I should have mentioned that in the first post. Well, who could pass that up? That little mark on the toe would sand right off, and the butt plate could be filed to match if necessary. I think we can agree that a toe plate on a stock with that shape and grain, is a wise thing. I am enough of a klutz that I could see myself chipping the toe off that nice stock.

Thanks to all you guys posting your builds! I ordered that toe plate because it was wider and I could fit it to the stock. At least one of you had warned about trying to fit a narrower toe plate to this model of kit.

Have any of you guys used iron nitrate and then followed that up with French Red Stain from Art's Gun & Sport Shop? Or used the French Red stock filler and finish? I do have another old stock I have been playing with that I can experiment on first.

Jim's email of 4/23 offered up a number of blemished stocks at a discount. Guess I should have mentioned that in the first post. Well, who could pass that up? That little mark on the toe would sand right off, and the butt plate could be filed to match if necessary. I think we can agree that a toe plate on a stock with that shape and grain, is a wise thing. I am enough of a klutz that I could see myself chipping the toe off that nice stock.

Thanks to all you guys posting your builds! I ordered that toe plate because it was wider and I could fit it to the stock. At least one of you had warned about trying to fit a narrower toe plate to this model of kit.

Have any of you guys used iron nitrate and then followed that up with French Red Stain from Art's Gun & Sport Shop? Or used the French Red stock filler and finish? I do have another old stock I have been playing with that I can experiment on first.
Oh ok! I didn't notice that mark. I used Tannic Acid and Iron Nitrate. I didn't use the other finishes you mentioned. I used Tried & True Varnish and added a little LMR Maple here and there to warm up tones.

Back