• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler lock question.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I know I can call but just wanted to ask now due to whst time it is.Since I've got a large Siler percussion lock. Will it fit the SMR lock panel if I have them not mortise for the lock?
I'm just trying to save every penny on building this swamped 32 cal.

I know I can call but just wanted to ask now due to whst time it is.Since I've got a large Siler percussion lock. Will it fit the SMR lock panel if I have them not mortise for the lock?
I'm just trying to save every penny on building this swamped 32 cal.
Think you need somebody else ,I can save you the trouble. No way , (their lock) goes on their stock ,they can't keep up with the demand and what your proposing would be terrible for their reputation which is excellent !!! All that CNC work comes with a cost and your lock wasn't in the program !

Their stocks are CNC carved which means they put a blank in the machine, turn it on and run the program. They would have to alter the program or stop the run before the lock mortise, which might be right in the middle of the program. I don’t see any way they can do what you want, but I’ve been wrong before.

Makes since. I know nothing of cnc and programs but makes since. Well I can go with there lock.and trigger and butt plate mortises.Ive already got the same barrel they use. So I just need the stock and other.

You do not need to move the liner hole. I made a drum with the same threads as the liner. I also made a lock from scratch. IT is all doable but labor intensive. Those are both 40 cal and the same other than the locks. I have since put finish on the the caplock.
DSCN0518.JPG

Makes since. I know nothing of cnc and programs but makes since. Well I can go with there lock.and trigger and butt plate mortises.Ive already got the same barrel they use. So I just need the stock and other.
Think you’ll be better off getting a blank stock and a barrel.

The change in the CNC program is doable however, you could very well be charged for the time it takes to do the alteration. And CNC programmers do not come cheap. It could easily double the price of your kit.

If all you need is a stock I believe he was selling some seconds recently. Cut stocks that for some reason won't go in a kit due to some flaw.. That might work for you.

Just don't cause him to slow down production until my kit is out the door! :)

OP question, no Kibler will not make any changes to anything. IT is all programmed and streamlined for production.

If a guy really wanted, you could modify a Kibler flintlock as done originally. Cut off the pan, throw away the flint parts. Add a percussion hammer. Add a drum.

Kibler makes the best production flintlock available. It would be a shame to make a cap gun out of one. I could not bring myself to do it so I made the lock above from bar stock.

In my hands his flintlocks are super fast and as reliable as any cap lock I own. With a cap shortage I see no practical reason to go cap lock.

That said I am surprised that he does not offer a cap lock version. It is possible with minimal changes to the gun and lock. A cap lock plate would use thinner material and machine faster. I am no CNC programmer so I am talking out of ignorance. He is always behind on orders so adding complication would not make financial sense for him.

For a couple- three hundred you can get a stock blank and carve it to fit anything you have on hand… like most all of us here do when we get tired of trying to fix pre-carves. (excepting Kibler’s pre-carves that is)
The last squirrel gun I built had the lock mortised where I had to notch the breechplug to clear the touch hole liner.
At .36 cal even 3f tends to foul up much quicker than larger calibers.
But it was free so I try not to whine too loud.
Maybe I’ll try 4f like Britsmoothy!

Why not just buy a stock and have someone in let the barrel and rr channel for you....? To me it's a whole lot less trouble. Or you could just have someone convert Jim's flintlock to percussion..? In the old days it was done a lot. JMHO

Get a lock makers lock take the flintlock of the Kibler rifle transfer the lock plate out line to the kit plate and cut it out finish the plate, install a drum and vent, now you have the ability to change back and forth between percussion or flint.

Back