• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler Lock Flint Size?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What size flints are you folks using in KIbler's locks. I have a Woodsrunner with a 7/8" flint. Still a lot of room, looks like a 1" would work.
Do you think that would be a good move?
Thanks!

There's a story behind the lock,but no need to repeat it. I use musket flints with a shim. My new Woodsrunner lock has a much stronger main spring than the other Kibler big lock I have.

Last edited:
I have been using a Fuller #7 for the last few years in my Colonial.. Size runs 7/8” wide. x 1” long. Works very well.
Note; no priming in pan(photo)
IMG_2002.jpegIMG_0603.jpeg

If you want a better strike angle, shim the back of the flint. If you don't care about the frizzen getting gouged by too sharp a strike angle, just go ahead and shoot it as is.

Using the flint that came with it my new Woodsrunner is developing a double gouge with just a few test snaps. (It also has a really strong mainspring.) That shows the frizzen is getting hit too high or at too sharp an angle and then getting hit again after it starts to move. I can fix the strike angle and the mainspring when I get ready to do the sighting in.
Frizzen pic.jpg

Last edited:
I had my lock (not a kiebler) tuned up recently by cabin Creek m.l. They noticed I had a shim underneath my flint. I didn't tell them I only did it this one time cuz the flint was so thin. Anyway they were quite adamant to not do this cuz this would screw up the geometry of the lock! BTW they did an excellent job on my lock.

Mine shipped with a 3/4" square, amber flint installed upside down. It hit 1/3 of the way UP from the bottom of the frizzen at almost 90⁰ and promptly broke. Jaden was either out of the correct size or needs to spend fifteen minutes out back with someone who has some real trigger time with these products.

I knap my own so can make any flint size, shape, or thickness needed. Standard 7/8"x1" with a leather made from 6-7 ounce top grain cow hide, skivved thin on top and very thin at the fold to elevate the flint slightly in the jaws, hits about 2/3 the way up the frizzen at about a 30⁰ angle and ends up pointing dead center of the pan at rest and about 1/16" above the touch hole. It is also about 5/16" away from the face of the closed frizzen at half cock. Absolutely perfect.

I ordered extra flints from Track of the Wolf. I emailed customer service what rifle it was for and they replied with their exact catalog number and link to product page.

I think many of you are making more out of this than needs to be done. In my view it doesn't really mater much where the flint strikes, or if it skips some etc. As long as the flint is sharp these locks produce an abundance of sparks. Just take a video on a phone of snapping the lock and run it on slow motion and you'll see.

I think sometimes people latch onto some idea they have and don't want to let it go.

According to the website it shows 7/8”x1” but I saw some of you said you saw where it mentioned 7/8”x3/4” which one does kibler himself recommend using in the lock?

According to the website it shows 7/8”x1” but I saw some of you said you saw where it mentioned 7/8”x3/4” which one does kibler himself recommend using in the lock?
Kibler makes two different locks. The smaller used in the SMR and the larger in the Colonial and Woodsrunner. The larger lock takes the 7/8" wide by 1" long flint. The Smaller SMR takes the 3/4" wide by 7/8" long flint.
He recommends both sizes, depending on the lock in question.

Kibler makes two different locks. The smaller used in the SMR and the larger in the Colonial and Woodsrunner. The larger lock takes the 7/8" wide by 1" long flint. The Smaller SMR takes the 3/4" wide by 7/8" long flint.
He recommends both sizes, depending on the lock in question.
Thanks RMH! I didn’t realize the SMR was a smaller lock.

Back