• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler Colonial build, reference materials?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have pulled the trigger on Kibler’s Colonial (pun aside) but sadly I know practically nothing about the history of this style of firearm. I want my build to be as period correct as possible. I am hoping to build something not quite as embellished as a French lady of the evening, but not as plain as the girl next door. Any suggestions on reference materials will be greatly appreciated

If you can find a copy of Rifles Of Colonial America, vol 1 or 2, they have hundreds of pictures of original rifles. I believe they’re both out of print. I found vol 2 at an online book seller a while back.

Thanks sleepingbulldog, I am off to try and find either. Or both! My ambition may have outstripped my ability, but I want to build something not over the top but clearly in sight of it 😀

Hi,
Go purchase the CD's from the Kentucky Rifle Foundation for Shenandoah Valley, Eastern PA rifles, and Moravian guns. You can purchase them on line. They will be your go to resources when you start actually working on your gun. Jim Kibler's colonial rifle is an amalgam of features found on early long rifles. It is somewhat northern Virginia and somewhat eastern PA. It does not copy any original rifle or school.

dave

The Kibler Colonial is not based on one original rifle. It has all the characteristics we expect to see on a rifle from around 1770. If finished plain, there’s nothing to think about. It’s been thought out for you. If you want to carve, engrave, or add inlays, then good study is needed.

You chose an awesome rifle and I'm sure you will be very happy with it. If I could afford one I would order it today. Kibler has a ton of videos on YT that you can watch where he goes into great detail on how to finish one of his rifle kits. He also has a lot of general info videos that you will find helpful also. Take your time and enjoy your new rifle.
Signed,
Jealous

I agree with Mr. Person. I have several books and am happy to have them. The KRF discs, however, give many more views of the rifles and, in my opinion, show much more detail.

I may be kidding myself, but I see this as my Grand Opus. I agree research, research then try not to ruin a beautiful gun
It will be a great gun if you finish it nicely. I don’t think a CNC kit can be a grand opus for anyone but the creator of the kit. Not trying to rain on your parade but what creative work do you have planned? Have you built many guns? Done engraving? Incised or relief carving? Wire inlay?

Grand Opus? Maybe not. But I hope to make a CNC gun into a one off. Rich, you asked about experience, fair question. All my working life I was a working artist. Ad agency Art Director, owned and ran my own design studio. Not the ideal resume for this work, but maybe. I have built (read clean up, sand, stain, seal, blue and bolt together 3 kits.) A Kentucky pistol from Traditions, a Kentucky rifle from Pedersoli and Bounty Hunter from Pedersoli. I did not apply any great artistic efforts on them other than working to get a clean smooth even runout where wood meets brass.
But, I have done wood sculpture for clients in the past, admittedly more modest than what I see in my minds eye for this Colonial, but that’s more a matter of scale than ability. I have a set of wood carving chisels, and mallet used lately mostly in pumpkin carving. Brass work will be new to me if you don’t count polishing, and I don’t.
I hope to work in the Recoco school of design. It seems well suited to the late 17th century. Think “C” scrolls and botanicals. I don’t have anything like a layout yet, still collecting research. This whole line of art is new to me, but art itself is not. I see “Bella” that will be her name, as something less than a French lady of the evening, but more than the girl next door. Time will tell if I can pull this off or not, but I’ve never shied away from a challenge. I hope to post a step by step from opening the box to first group on a target. No matter how she turns out, I plan to have fun

Sounds like you’ll do well! I’m sure your layout and design will be fine given your art and sculpting experience. I recommend practicing carving on good hardwood. In a pinch, firewood works fine and as a bonus gives opportunities for practicing shaping.
The hardest thing to realize from pictures is that the height of some relief carving is about the thickness of cereal box cardboard. Some is as thick as shoebox cardboard. None is as high as the thickness of corrugated cardboard. So the depth and sculpting are very subtle and as much illusion as real. I usually replicate originals without attempt for improvement and strive to be a working class colonial American gunstock carver in style and quality. Look to Dave Person for top shelf, which some American work was. Here is my re-creation of a Lancaster rifle by Fainot. Though it can appear complicated, it is a fairly unsophisticated carving design when you look at individual elements.
AA2F465F-2C72-42AE-B77A-8DDA9960AF54.jpeg

Hi,
Rich and I live in Vermont and are good friends. His work is well done, authentic, and totally plausible with respect to the original guns on which it is based. He should show you the patch box on that gun. Here is a thread that may help and inspire your efforts.
Kibler kit assembly and carving

dave

Dave: After reading your thread on your Kibler build (twice) that you documented so clearly and well, I’ll need a bigger sponge! Aim high or go home
Thank you guys for your sage advice and direction.

Latest posts

Back