• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kentucky boar hunting question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A couple friends and I are planning to boar and deer hunt during the Kentucky muzzleloader season in the Big South Fork Park this October with our flintlock rifles. Problem is that I don't know a good place to find them. I know the best way is to do firsthand scouting, but I'm in the construction trade and this is the busy time and I don't know if I can get there to do that. It's such a large area that it would take a lot of time to scout it out. Is there anybody on the forum that has hunted there that could help me in this? I'm just asking so that I could narrow it down and save some time. Thanks Hunsfoot

Problem is hogs wander a lot.

If you went this week and found them, they will not be where they were when October comes along.

They will move based on rainfall or no rainfall.

Where I hunt they will follow the acorns, white oak, red oak, pen oak, post oak etc. as they fall from the trees.

Scouting far in advance does not work.

Hogs are the smartest critters in the woods. I had one who would show up each night 30 minutes after I left the blind. I had his pictures and it's times of arrival.

I went home and studied the computer and it showed that the forecasted rain would go all night long and would stop about 30 minutes after day light.

I was up early and as forecasted the rain stopped 30 minutes after daylight, he went into the freezer.

Without a camera, no one would know he was there.

If you went this week and found them, they will not be where they were when October comes along.

Where I hunt they will follow the acorns, white oak, red oak, pen oak, post oak etc. as they fall from the trees.

Hogs are the smartest critters in the woods. I had one who would show up each night 30 minutes after I left the blind. I had his pictures and it's times of arrival.

I went home and studied the computer and it showed that the forecasted rain would go all night long and would stop about 30 minutes after day light.

I was up early and as forecasted the rain stopped 30 minutes after daylight, he went into the freezer.

hunt near swampy places, oak groves and, look for wallows rutting and tracks. hogs have poor eye sight but great sence of smell and hearing. hunt down wind or in tree stands. if baiting is ok use cull apples for bait. also use the largest caliber you have.

I don't know the laws in your state, but I have tossed a few squirrel-bitten mangoes out late afternoon and had hogs show up within an hour!

I asked my wife to go find a mango tree here in East Texas, hope she comes back soon, it is getting close to lunch time.

Creek bottoms would be a good place to look also, the soil is nice an soft for rooting out grubs an worms plus its cooler when the weather heats up.

I thank you all for your input and I'll be sure to keep them all in mind. BTW I'll be hunting with a .50cal with which has always done well for me. I was thinking of picking up some pig in heat scent. Has anybody ever tried any?

There may be a shortage of mangos in Kentucky but there are other soft mast trees like Paw Paws, Persimmons and Pears. Check with the Kentucky DNR, but hogs are considered pests in most states. In some states, baiting is allowed,(I bet Spence would know), if Kentucky is one, pour a 5 gallon bucket half full of field corn and add water to the top of the corn. In one or two days it will sour and swell up to the top of the bucket. This soured corn will draw hogs for a long ways. I used a post hole digger and dug a hole about two feet deep, and put the sour mash in the hole. This keeps them from eating it all in one day, and keeps most other critters out of it. Good luck and don't forget to keep yer powder dry.......Robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back