• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just have to brag a little ..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackfoot

40 Cal.
Reaction score
So my son is 9 and will be 10 this month and he is going deer hunting this fall for the first time. Well we went to the range Saturday so he can get some shots fired and get used to the muzzleloader, It is a CVA Bobcat .50 cal cap lock.
It is a cheap rifle but it is his size and he can handle it better that full sized rifle or a slug gun so this is what he is going to use.

We set up at the 50 yard bench at the gun range and I show him the in's and outs of what I am doing with the muzzleloader and showed him how to aim (what the sights should look like when aiming) and when he was comfortable I loaded it and let him settle in on the bench and he fired his first shot out of a .50 cal muzzleloader.
To my supprise while looking through the binos I asked him what was the last thing he saw when the rifle fired and he said the "bullseye" so I said lets go look at the target and when we go there you should have seen the big smile on his face when he saw that he indeed hit the bull on his first try.

The next shot was low 4" but I did not swab the barrel, then I swabbed for the next shot and he hit the bull again almost touching the first shot!

He is hooked now and loves the muzzleloader!

We are going to hunt the firearms season while using muzzleloaders - getting him started on the right foot.

jakefirstshot.jpg

jake50ydgroup.jpg

THATS for sure somthing to brag about! I hope ya stopped off on the way home and got the boy an ice cream cone! Those shots indeed deserve some praise!
Also good to get kids involved at an early age.Even if it's just shooting a 22 rifle, 410 or a bb gun..get em out there and used to firearms if they show any kinda interest at all. :thumbsup:

Good for you. I love to see the young sprouts learnin how to get er done the proper way :hatsoff:

Good job, savor every moment of that father-son time as it is priceless!Your starting him out the right way on a road of fun ,and my hats off to you,and him both.I hope you both have great luck this fall! :thumbsup:

It's these things that make the bonds between a Father and his son so strong and lasting.

Congrats to both of you for doing so well... keep making "good smoke"!~!~!

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Thanks all !

We will hit the rifle range again Saturday to keep him getting used to the muzzleloader - after duck opener - Also his first duck hunt so it will be an eventful day for Jake.

That is awesome! That will go down in your son's list of great memories he will pass on to his children some day. I applaud you getting him involved.

I've got a 9 year old grandson that I would give anything if he lived closer than 1,800 miles away. I can just imagine his joy at shooting a muzzle loader.

Keep it up Dad! You done a great thing!

Back