• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just got a Remmy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulmarcone

40 Cal.
Reaction score
On Monday I called Cabela's and took advantage of their $20 off sale and got the Pietta 1858 .44 caliber Remmy. It was already on sale for $189, so I got it for $169. Total was $186 after shipping.

Here's a pic of the new addition:

3927144544_02e80b3634_b.jpg

Can't wait to get her to the range. Any suggestions on loads?

I was thinking of starting with 30 grains of 3F Goex, wonder wad and a .454 ball.

Your load sounds good, but I find that 25 grains gives me a little better accuracy, and you use less powder that way, makes less fouling too.

I picked up a Remington with the 5 1/2" barrel at the KC Cabela's when they had them on sale.
You got a good deal there sir...sure pays shopping a "sale". :grin:

Load sounds fine! Also try 25 grains with 2 wonder-wads under the ball. This keeps the balls up closer to the chamber mouths AND provides a little extra lube to keep the fouling soft in cooler weather :wink:

Have fun making smoke!

Dave

Wow! Great price. You will have fun with that gun. I have the "target" version and paid $210 3 years ago "on sale". 30 grains is almost the max load, you will get a good solid hand cannon feeling with that load. As you go you may end up adjusting your load down somewhat and playing around with wads, fillers, lube etc.. You can fill those chambers to the top with black powder, put the ball on and load it in if you want, in mine that is right at 35 grains. I don't do that very often, only if my son and I want that macho feeling.

I'd start with a little less powder, as my 58's liked between 22-25 grains to shoot their best. Wonder wads are the way to go and you don't have to worry about chain fire when using them. You got a great price, enjoy yourself and be sure to post your results.

I agree that using a felt wad between the ball and powder should form an effective flame shield to prevent chain fires from the front of the cylinder.

There is little doubt that many chain fires happen because a cap has fallen off of one (or more) of the nipples during shooting.

If a person has access to pictures of C&B guns being fired at night they will see that the entire rear of the cylinder can be covered with flame.
If a cap is missing, that flame can get into the loaded chamber and cause it to fire.

Always check to make sure the caps are still on the unfired chambers while shooting.

:hatsoff:
Nice looking. Have fun.

I would expect him to shoot well with 20 to 25 grain of Swiss FFF. Maybe a .457 ball. Would not be uncommon if 18 grain Swiss FFF is enough for target shooting.

What you put between powder and ball, well don't know your stuff but might be the same as over here. Some lube above the ball may be too.

Mine likes the .454 ball and I shot 25 grains most of the time, every once in a while I loaded it to the max (32-35 grains-there about) and gave it a rip. I have had to replace the cylinder pin though--I bet it was from those heavy loads.

PaulTheWall said:
I was thinking of starting with 30 grains of 3F Goex, wonder wad and a .454 ball.

I have the same gun, though didn't get the great deal that you got :haha: and that was my exact load except I started with pyrodex, and now 4yrs later with the same can I tried it again and found out the hard way that pyrodex loses it's boom with time, goex is definitely the way to go but I have not tried 30gr yet with goex...

Back