• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just Dropped the Hammer on a Pietta Model 1858 New Army Stainless

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRiddle

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I guess I've been bitten by the C&B Revolver bug!

Just ordered a new Pietta Model 1858 New Army Stainless .44 Caliber Target Revolver from Cabella's. https://www.cabelas.com/product/Pi...ainless-44-Caliber-Target-Revolver/705740.uts
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Pi...44-Caliber-Revolver-Spare-Cylinder/705066.uts

It was on sale for a $100 off, plus I got a discount code for another $20 which paid for the shipping. I actually got the gun and an extra cylinder including shipping for less than the price of just the gun at regular price.

Even the regular price was at or less than what I could find it at other sources. :grin:

I really liked the looks of the stainless model and decided since I was getting it to shoot, I'd go ahead and get the adjustable sights.

Does anyone know how the nipples are on the stainless model? I ordered a set of the Slix-Shot nipples for my 1851. Didn't know how the nipples would be on the stainless 1858 model. I assume they're stainless also from the looks.

I'm going to head back to Gander Mtn. tomorrow and get some Remington #10 caps. I hate to pay an extra $20 haz shipping fee! :cursing:

Bobby

Last edited by a moderator:
:)

When you load the spare cylender DO NOT CAP IT! At least not until it is ready to shoot.
As for nipples...it's a Pietta...the nipples are going to suck. You will want replacements right out the gate. (just saying, Pietta is not the industry leader in nipple quality control)

I may be wrong, but I highly doubt it.

Now you have that quick reload gun you wanted. :grin: Quick being a relative thing and all...
The New Army is a good pistol, but I betcha end up likeing your 1851 more as time goes by.

How in the world can anyone post a stainless cap and ball on this forum? That's like a Model A Ford with chrome rims and a V-8 motor. HOT ROD! :shake:

and your extra cylinder ( being un capped) should be kept a safe distance from your pistol as you are firing it...could be disasterous if a stray spark should reach an uncapped nipple....
I know its not very likely...but we have to shoot safely , right?

I bought the fixed sight model back in 1997. I was getting the 124 gr round ball to just under 1200 fps on my cronny and fantastic accuracy. That is better than a modern 9mm w same bullet weight! I was using 35 gr of P pyrodex and seating the ball tight. As time passed I shot it less & less eventually gave it to my son in law. I missed it and found another, in these forums for sale, with adjustable sights. These sights are good and right on as delivered, no adjusting done. The stainless makes cleaning easier, than the blue revolvers I have, the crud seems to wipe rite off. I have converted to using BP now, Goex is what I find local, but I never had a problem with the Pyrodex. My shooting sessions are not over till the babies are cleaned and oiled. :wink:
HOSS

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions.

I do leatherwork so I plan on a new/old looking holster with a cylinder pouch to keep the cylinder safe and sound.

As for the caddy, yeah I guess you're right, but I have other black powder guns and know how hard clean up can be. I figured since I plan on shooting a lot the SS will not only be easier to clean but also should last longer.

I ordered two sets of nipples, so when they get in I'll try both and see how the Pietta SS nipples compare.

Jack Wilson said:
How in the world can anyone post a stainless cap and ball on this forum? That's like a Model A Ford with chrome rims and a V-8 motor. HOT ROD! :shake:

Just have someone sandblast it to a satin finish and call it nickle-plated. :haha:

Jack Wilson said:
cynthialee said:
It still needs percussion caps and black powder to fire.
So does an INLINE - what's your point?
apples and oranges

My point is that it is still a New Army regardless of what it is made from. It is a cap and ball revolver and that should be enough to warent it being talked about.
It isn't like he is bringing it to a rondy and saying it is HC/PC.
We can't chase off every one who is not using a HC/PC gun, it would leave the forum empty. Not a single one of my guns is correct for anything other than 20-21 century.

To all:

The material the gun is made from hasn't been an issue on the MLF provided the gun is based on the style of guns that were used during and prior to the American Civil War.

This includes a stainless steel Remington 1858 revolver and several sidelock rifles.

Correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure most of the guns back then were made of different metals than ones made today stainless or otherwise. Maybe a soft iron or a lower strength steel? If that is the case what would be the difference between having a gun made from stainless steel or modern steel that is not stainless since neither are authentic.

Boy I guess we better not talk about that .44 1851 in brass since that wasn't made either, or the Ruger pistol since that is not period correct either. Sheeseh some people Bit*h about anything, and needs a life. Matter of fact I have both a ss Remington, and a .44 brass framed 1851. And enjoy shooting em.

The second cylinder may not shoot to the same point of aim as the one that came with the gun. I did this with my 1858 Pietta and never used the extra cylinder because it groups off to one side from the one that was fit to the gun. Alignment is different.
Also it is true that modern steel used in these reproduction revolvers is light years ahead of what was used in the original.Many now days are of 8620 type steel that has much higher tensile and Izod numbers, the second is hoop stress figures which are far more important than tensile figures in gun applications.
Stainless type steel is the perfect material for these type guns from both a practical and safety perspective. You can always have them black chromed or even blued now days. MD

Whether stainless is better or not depends on the type of stainless steel it is.

Some wrought austenitic stainless steels strengths are just slightly better than the low carbon steels used for most muzzleloading guns.
The elongation properties of the stainless are better though.

Well, when the new one gets here, I'll have both too! :grin: I can't wait.

I try not to let off the wall comments on a forum bother me. I took it that the comment about the "Hot Rod" stainless B&C was just good hearted humor. :wink:

If not, I'm not trying to please anyone but myself. I've had blued, browned, and SS and I know that as far as from a practical user standpoint, I'll bet if a civil war soldier could have had a SS pistol loaded with Pyrodex he'd have jumped at the chance! :grin:

I'm really surprised to hear that a different cylinder would make a difference in accuracy. I'm anxious to see how mine patterns.

I picked up some Remington #10 caps this weekend and plan on going out and shooting some today. I don't have the new nipples, so I'll see how the Pietta nipples shoot with the #10 caps. I tried a test fit last night and they look like they're going to work OK.

Just got an email from Cabella's with the tracking number. Looks like it'll be here Wednesday. Dang, I'll be at the fire station! Also has to be signed for by an adult...wonder why the first one I ordered didn't have to be signed for?

Think I'll try to get the delivery changed to Thursday or Friday so I'll be here.

I didn't say difference in accuracy, I said different point of impact because the alignment was different in my second cylinder.
Also the original nipples can be lathe tuned to fit caps well. I have tuned all mine up to the smallest diameter and height of the smallest nipple and adjust them to the caps I want to use.
They aren't as good as the Uncle Mikes hardened stainless nipples I like but the factory ones seem to work quite well when tuned up a bit.MD

Man, I had a blast shooting the 1851 today. Used the OEM Pietta nipples with zero misfires.

I used both cylinders and shot 12 rounds in each one. Everything loaded and shot great. Only used 20 grams of Pyrodex. Hardly no recoil. I actually forgot my earplugs in my excitement to shoot it and with the low powder charge and long barrel on the gun, I didn't even realize I had forgot them till I was done! Much different than shooting any of my modern handguns.

Gonna shoot some more tomorrow.

Back