• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jukar Handgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks exactly like a CVA Colonial Pistol, mine are marked Jukar Spain, mine has a metal ramrod and the front sight was WAY too short. on my flint version I cut down the rear sight, on the percussion version I used a much taller front sight from track of the wolf. both shoot dead on now.

Interesting,in that ,so I thought,ALL black powder barrels from Spain are required to have government proof stamps.
all my Italian and spanish firearms are proofed stamped with date codes....LYMAN, CVA pistol and a Safari arms.

I agree. I also thought it had to say "black powder only" on the barrel.
This makes me do a lot of wondering.

4845C252-7CFE-41FE-819B-E5503191136B.jpeg

Above is mine and it only has a serial number on the barrel. I didn’t build it and bought it used.

I ain't no photographer but I did, finally, get the pictures off of the camera.
The inside of the barrel is 5.5 inches deep.
Does anyone know what the numbers listed earlier mean?

Mule

Attachments

• Jukar 1.jpg
    Jukar 1.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Jukar 2.jpg
    Jukar 2.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 90
I went ahead and disassembled it.
To see the below names and numbers the gun has to be completely disassembled.

147 on bottom of trigger guard
82 on bottom of barrel tang
82 hand written on front end of stock in barrel bed
SPAIN on back side of lock plate at bottom, below main spring
82 on trigger frame
82 on side of trigger

I don't think it has ever been fired.
I did go ahead and clean and lube it even though there was no rust. There was plenty of dust. I used bore butter to lube all metal parts, inside and out, then wiped it very good inside and out.

With my lil ole cheap caliper the bore measured a very close 7/16. 7/16 = .4375. So I'd say y'all are correct in saying it is .45 cal. I have some .440 balls.

What holds the ram rod in?

The 82 marked on a lot of parts is an assembly tracking number to keep track of the hand fitted parts during production. The trigger guard may have gotten separated from another pistol or it didn't matter for the fitting of the final assembly.

If the bore is close to 7/16, then the likely ball size is 0.433. A lot of the early 45 and 44 caliber guns are very tight with the normal 0.440 sized balls and 0.433 is a better choice. I have several 44 caliber pistols that take the 0.433 ball and a thin 0.010 patch. I find that an easy to load ball and patch just works better for my pistols.

I also use .010 cotton patches for my 45 Kentucky. Along with the .440 ball, it's a nice snug fit. Very accurate with about 30 grains of 3f Swiss. Although I have tried the same load with Old Ensyford 3f powder. To me, they're not too much different.

My Jukar Kentucky pistol doesn't have a retaining spring for the ramrod either. It just sits in place under the barrel. It seems to stay in place good. Just have to push it firmly in.
I put mine / ram rod between two blocks of wood and put a slight bend in it & it stays in place when I shoot it.

I did not smear Bore Butter on the inside of the lock plate. I used SS2 All Purpose Gun Lubricant. I bought this, no longer available gun oil, at an estate sale. I don't know how long I've had it. I thought I had some Ballistol, but I guess not. Is the oil I used acceptable for black powder guns?

Using a petroleum-based lubricant on a BP firearm is generally not a good idea - it carbonises and forms a very hard-to-remove caked crud. Y'see, then BP guns were invented, there were NO petroleum-based products for cleaning and lubrication purposes, just natural animal-derived oils etc.

I don't subscribe to not using petroleum based lubricants on black powder firearms. I use oil sparingly on my locks and also use Barricade or 3 in 1 oil as a bore protector from rust. Again I don't gloop them on because a little goes a long way. I've not found them to harm my guns in over 40 years of use on some. There are also some I steer clear of due to a number of reports of causing the problems noted above.

Using a petroleum-based lubricant on a BP firearm is generally not a good idea - it carbonises and forms a very hard-to-remove caked crud. Y'see, then BP guns were invented, there were NO petroleum-based products for cleaning and lubrication purposes, just natural animal-derived oils etc.

TFoley, I finally found where it says; "Contains petroleum distillates, and chlorinated solvents.

Mule

I don't subscribe to not using petroleum based lubricants on black powder firearms. I use oil sparingly on my locks and also use Barricade or 3 in 1 oil as a bore protector from rust. Again I don't gloop them on because a little goes a long way. I've not found them to harm my guns in over 40 years of use on some. There are also some I steer clear of due to a number of reports of causing the problems noted above.

I started cleaning my guns when I was 7 years old. I got my first gun for Christmas 1953. It was a Hercules .410 side by side. I still have it. My Dad always used 3-in-1 oil to lube and clean with. We never had a BP gun. We cleaned after every hunt. (The guns were only used for hunting. No practice playing. They were for obtaining meat for the table. He never missed and I was not allowed to miss.) I am sure I will use 3-in-1 till I die. Course I will not pass the tradition on to anyone, cause I have no one to pass it to. We had 3 girls and they are all girl.

Back