• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jug choking advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgg

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a 16 gauge smoothbore barrel I would like to get jug choked. I would appreciate advice and recommendations from anyone who has a jug choked barrel. Since Coyote Joe has retired, who should I talk to about getting the job done?

Thanks for any help.

I have an old navy arms double 12ga, I had it jug choked by friend of VM Star. I had it choked full and full for waterfowl hunting. Loaded with Bismuth shot it will hang right with the modern 12ga guns. It will do a fair job with Steel shot. It shoots a little to tight for close in Pheasant or Grouse hunting but I can add a few over shot wads to separate the shot column and it works just fine. I would like to find someone to jug choke my 16 and 20 gauge's now.

Bob

lowell did a 20ga barrel for me a couple of years ago. he does an excellent job. however, unlike coyote joe, he cuts his barrels on a lathe, so you need to remove the barrel and pobably the underlugs. he'll tell you for sure when you give him a call.

Danny Caywood choked my 12 ga to a full an he done a great job. It shoots at point of aim an the pattern is excellent :thumbsup:

I just got to shoot my 16 guage, Lowell did(turkey full) for me this Feb. It was 60 plus 15 shipping. super nice guy to talk to. As far as results, It shot 3 patched roundball very well and then I was able to put 40 killing #5 shots in a turkey head target at 30yds. I tried one shot at 40yd. It put 18 in the head. I only tried shot 4 times. I really did not get to experiment, it is ready to hunt with now.

Yeah I totally forgot when I said $60.00, he didn't have to ship it back to me, so shipping wasn't charged. The barrel went back to Mike.

cgg said:
I would appreciate advice and recommendations from anyone who has a jug choked barrel.

I had Lowell Jug a couple of .62cal x 32" GM barrels for me a few years ago...one 'Full', and one 'Improved Cylinder Plus'.
Shot loads patterned well, but wasn't pleased with PRB accuracy out of the 'Full' barrel, didn't try out of the "I.C.+ barrel".

I had Caywood Guns Jug a .62cal x 38" Rice barrel 'Full'. Shot loads patterned well and it shoots PRBs like the proverbial tack driver.

Caywood's expansion chamber in the Rice barrel was a very smoothly done transition...by contrast I could feel 'steps' or 'ridges' in the GM 'Full' barrel. Doubt I'll be getting any more barrels Jugged, but if I do, I'll probably just have Caywood do it.

As with long tapered( or relieved) throats in modern shotgun barrels, I believe that the smoother and longer the taper in and out of the expansion chamber, the better the patterns. The long "neck" out of the expansion taper will do less damage to the pellets on the outside of the load, and give you even, ROUND patterns without strings or "tails" coming off one side or the other of the pattern.

Years ago, a friend of mine was given a specially made barrel for his Remington Model 1100 that had a long tapered Full Choke at the muzzle- 2 1/2-3" vs. 1". With certain loads he could get 90%+* patterns from that barrel. (* # of pellets in a 30" circle at 40 yards)

Coyote Joe's jug choke equipment( pictured on this forum several months ago) provided a much smoother and longer, tapered expansion chamber than you see in other designs. He could get more tightening of a pattern with less "pts. of constriction"( depth of expansion chamber) because of that. I believe his design also is responsible for his Jug Choked guns giving superb performance shooting PRBs, too. :hmm: :thumbsup:

Back