• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

JUG CHOKE - RANGE REPORT

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No...didn't have any...but it'll do the job...this 9" paper plate is at 25yds

185360925ydshotpatterncropped.JPG

Thanks for the info Roundball..going to get him to jug choke mine if he will, before next season. To late now for this yr. as the season is in now. I had my .20bore flintlock do the slug effect deal on a gobbler at 20yds. opening day this yr. Rolled another gobbler last Weds. at 35yds. and he got up running and got away. Killed one at 32 steps the next day. But not happy with the paper cup deal and am going to get barrel jug choked.

Until you get yours choked, you have simply got to put those turkeys in a smaller pen so you won't have to shoot so far!!
:rotf:

Don't know what I'd do if I got 3 shots at turkeys in as many days :shocked2:

PS: just posted my final results (hunting category) from this morning's tests...averages 16 pellets in a 5" circle at 40yds...just need a turkey to cooperate!

I don't want to even hear about a pattern like that...not till next season anyway!
I got to confess..I didn't really believe about the slug effect when using Post-it Note paper TOO LONG. However..I'm living proof it happens.
Opening morning on public land..I called in two gobblers..both long beards, but not real big turkeys..probably two yr. olds. They were coming straight to me and I had to shoot the lead one before he saw me. He was 20yds. or less. I put the bead on his head and got off good squeeze and hold. The smoke cleared and both were just standing there like "What was that?". They didn't even run when I stood up wondering which one was the dead one. I couldn't have missed that close. When they strolled on into the swamp I walked over to see if the dead one was laying around. No dice.
I knew right away what had happed. I had left my paper cup longer than usual..a good 3/8 inch longer than the shot inside of it...long enough to close all the way around the shot when I pushed the over shot card down and the shot cup didn't open.
When I got back to the vehicle I shot another load just as the one I missed with and the bark on the tree looked like I had shot a round ball. It didn't open. There's no way I wouldn't have hit that bird with a pellet or two at least..that close.
I'm a firm believer that if you cut the paper even with the shot..it will open fast..too fast in my opinion and if you leave it just a hair long it will give a great pattern at a longer distance..bout 35yds..but just a hair too long on the paper and it flat won't open up.
These gobblers are too hard to come by to play those odds...so next season I will have a jug choked barrel.
Almost forgot..I had that shot opening day then it was a wk. and a half before the next shot..then I got the bird the next day. But they ain't been comin on no platter..I've had to work my butt off for them and that's why it hurts so bad when the &*^% pattern ain't right.

Mike Brooks said:
16 pellets in a 5" circle at 40yds
I'd call those exceptional results from a 20 bore! :hatsoff:

It's really amazing how much pattern change can occur with what seems like minor tweaks to the configuration...I switched from 70grns G/3F to 80grns and the pattern got a a little thinner.

Then switched from one Blue/Gray dry, hard pressed 1/8" OP fiber card to one Oxyoke 1/8" wool O/P wad and it tightend back up AND got even tighter, about a 15% increase in pellet count above the original count.

Then I tried 90grns G/2F and the patten was so thin a dove could have flown through it...I would have thought 80grns G/3F and 90grns G/2F would have performed almost identically but no way can I use 2F in this thing for some reason.

Naturally, the 10, 20, and 30 yard targets have much higher pellet[url] counts...in[/url] fact a 10yd target is practically shredded...you almost can't shoot anything closer than 15yds or it'll just be torn to pieces like a full choke would on a modern shotgun.

This has been a good learning experience, all the experimenting with a cylinder bore, paper shot cups, etc, in the past couple years...and now experimenting with this jug choked GM Flint barrel...it certainly isn't "PC" but it's an outstanding shooter...could shoot trap with this thing because that same patten density of 16 pellets in the center 5" continues right on out to a couple feet in diameter

Last edited by a moderator:
I just semi jugchoked my 62cal american fowler with great results.
100grs ffg ounce an a quarter of # 6 at 25yrds 56 pellets in the head an neck zone on a turkey target.
Thats gonna have to do until later when I can send my barrel off to get it choked right.
wish me luck next weekend is turkey season

"this jug choked GM Flint barrel...it certainly isn't "PC" but it's an outstanding shooter."

I thought they jug choked back in the old days.

Hoyt said:
"this jug choked GM Flint barrel...it certainly isn't "PC" but it's an outstanding shooter."

I thought they jug choked back in the old days.

They did...I was referring to the modern made "drop-in" barrel for a TC Hawken :winking:

Mike or Roundball or anyone,,,,

I've mentioned before that I'm having a New England Fowler with a 51 inch 16ga barrel being made. Ed Rayle will finish the barrel any day now if he hasen't already,and it'll go straight to Lowell Tennyson for a 30 thousants jug choke.
[url] QUESTION.....in[/url] your opinions,what can I expect in the way of total effective range to kill turkeys? I'm so new to this shotgun stuff that I have no idea what to expect. Could you comment on what I can expect and how can I achieve the maximum?

der Forster said:
Mike or Roundball or anyone,,,,

I've mentioned before that I'm having a New England Fowler with a 51 inch 16ga barrel being made. Ed Rayle will finish the barrel any day now if he hasen't already,and it'll go straight to Lowell Tennyson for a 30 thousants jug choke.
[url] QUESTION.....in[/url] your opinions,what can I expect in the way of total effective range to kill turkeys? I'm so new to this shotgun stuff that I have no idea what to expect. Could you comment on what I can expect and how can I achieve the maximum?

I'll defer to Mike or anyone else for actual predictions...my results are from a jug choked .20ga in a strong 1" x 33" octagon barrel...not knowing anything about NE fowlers, I can only speculate that if at least the same load is acceptable in it, you should expect at least the same results.

If it'll take a larger load, seems like you should get an even better pattern and/or distance from it.

And if barrel length has anything to do with it you might be able to shoot a turkey over on the next farm!
:grin:

Latest posts

Back