• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Johnson 1836 Conversion Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btech

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I would appreciate observations and thoughts on authenticity, condition and value. The sheer age of this gun intrigues me, considering bidding. Has cartouche and inspector marks.

johnson1.jpg

johnson6.jpg

johnson4.jpg

Hello:

I'm no expert on U.S. arms, but I think a conversion made ”‹”‹in a factory official as Springfield, the design of the hammer.
The carriage of the stick, is reversed.

Affectionately. Fernando K

(Sorry for the translator)

Supposedly this "R. Johnson" conversion .54 caliber was manufactured by Robert Johnson, Middletown, Ct. in 1836 - the first year that these pistols were converted by the manufacturer.
This Model 1836 flintlock pistol was converted to percussion using the 2nd type of Belgian conversion.
This model was manufactured from 1836-1844 with 18,000 being made by Johnson with a smaller number converted as opposed to flintlock during the 1850's.

I decided to bid on this pistol. Got up to $900 and still didn’t meet the reserve. I was all in so I moved on to other bids. After the auction was over, the seller sent me a personal email asking if I still wanted the pistol for $900. I declined since I was already bidding on other guns, but I told him I would be interested at $750.
He sent me this response, “Stop playing games and bid on other people's auctions”. Then told the auction company that I was a bidder who “intentionally overbid to exclude other bidders then try to get items at lower prices”.
I asked the seller how is this even possible when the reserve wasn’t met??? I reminded him that he contacted me. I got no answer.
So now the gun is relisted and guess what the price is? $750!!!!
I’ll never understand the antique gun market. Customer satisfaction is nonexistent. They act like they’re doing you a favor by letting you buy something from them. Now no one tell me to go the pistol at the new price. I wouldn’t deal with guy if we halved the price.

Please be careful. The scenario you described is a popular scam. Losing bidders to online auctions are contacted after the auction ends by someone who is supposedly the original seller. They say the deal with the winner fell through and if you still want the item, send in your money. You can guess the rest. It happened to a person with whom I work.

At no cost would I deal with an unscrupulous vendor such as that.
When dealing with vendors you are not sure of, ask for more pictures of the item, especially one with them holding it.
Especially ask for a picture that is not ordinary.
That is to verify that it actually exists.
I've been scammed.
Fred

I appreciate the feedback. I've given up the antique gun market. Too many scams and poor sellers. You're not even safe going thru a big auction house. They sell guns they've never seen based on the sellers "word".
If these guys had to run a regular business they'd be bankrupt in a week, or arrested for fraud.

What the vendor did borders on harassment/blackmail.

The 2nd quarter 19th century US martial pistols are a largely unloved lot, despite the high prices they seem to bring. I had an Ashton years ago with a broken grip stock. I did indeed buy it on a street corner in Washington DC for $50 back around 1981. I didn't realize how easy it would be to fix, so I hauled it to the Baltimore Antique Arms show and thought I made a killing when Lee Kirkland bought it for $150.

I have thought about getting the Italians or Spanish to run off 200 copies of an Ashton or one of the others, but the guns and history of 1830 to 1860 just don't seem to have much of a following outside of Texas. I would do what Garrett Arms tried in the early 1980's and have them made so parts would interchange with originals.

The seller was Hansen and Hansen. I'll never do any business with them again. I asked Gunbroker to stop listing their guns.

The ones I've seen on line are way over priced. They don't sell and keep getting relisted. Sellers won't even consider a realistic price.

I'd love to find a repro of both the original flint model and the converted percussion.

Back