• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Javelina with a flintlock southern rifle…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marinated overnight then ?
Yes, I marinated it overnight in roasted garlic, red wine vinegar, olive oil and some spices. Put it in the slow cooker this morning on low and let it get all tender...and it is amazing! Made shredded barbacoa tacos with it and the whole family loved them, not a single scrap left. I had the same experience with feral hogs that folks said were bad to eat. So long as the meat is cared for properly I've not found a game animal that tastes bad.

Those rascals came to our porch for apples nearly every evening in Southern Arizona.. The little ones would push and shove as they jockeyed for position. My poodles loved to stand at the screen door and watch.. was great until the neighbors complained. 😁 :dunno: Polecat

Culinary update…the braised barbacoa javelina tacos were excellent. Made a simple garlic marinade, let it sit overnight and then slow cooked them all day in a chile barbacoa sauce. Garnishes were guacamole, cheese, tomatillo sauce and pico de gallo. The whole family found them tasty… bring me your unwanted javelina!!

Culinary update…the braised barbacoa javelina tacos were excellent. Made a simple garlic marinade, let it sit overnight and then slow cooked them all day in a chile barbacoa sauce. Garnishes were guacamole, cheese, tomatillo sauce and pico de gallo. The whole family found them tasty… bring me your unwanted javelina!!
Great info I'll tuck that away for the future. We're headed to TX in April for pig, but would really like to take a run at Javalina in AZ, it's closer. I'm taking my Hawken .50 as well as an unmentionable, no limit on the pigs.

Great info I'll tuck that away for the future. We're headed to TX in April for pig, but would really like to take a run at Javalina in AZ, it's closer. I'm taking my Hawken .50 as well as an unmentionable, no limit on the pigs.
Good luck…

I really think that was awesome, a javalina with a .40 flintlock and hits at 110 yds and then at 84 yds, wow. Beautiful rifle too.

They are cute in an ugly way. Wish I had them where I hunt.

LOL! I just can’t make myself shoot one. Had an old uncle generally had one around his house for a pet. Kinda got attached to em. Passed up many a havahog at the Kenedy county place. Heck have even had em come up around the cabin of an evening after a days hunt while we are cooking. The walk around us and sniff stuff, give us a once over, and go about their way.

Nontheless, congrats on your muskhog! Waidmannsheil!!!

Last edited:
I've shot a few javelina in southern Arizona, quite a few years ago, now. Here's one I took from 18 yards with a double 20 gauge flintlock.
View attachment 120834
They are excellent to eat. They have a large musk gland on the rump, and you need to make absolutely certain you don't get any of that on the meat, your hands or cleaning tools. That done, they are sweet eating, not much like pork, dark, tender and tasty. One of the best meals I ever had in camp was javelina shoulder with potatoes, carrots and onions cooked overnight in a dutch oven which was buried in a hole, surrounded with coals and covered with dirt.

Spence
ber: 24237"]
you are making my mouth water!!
[/QUOTE]
I'm new to the sport. Does a 20 gauge flintlock shoot shot like a regular 20 gauge shotgun?

A few from my wanderings.
B06BAB62-850A-4DBA-80D8-D76315EBB013.jpeg
ABD5AF7E-361D-4709-BFB8-B9A16F13950E.jpeg

View attachment 120665View attachment 120666I thought I’d share a neat picture of my .40 southern mountain rifle on a recent javelina hunt in Arizona. I just finished making the rifle this winter and was looking forward to this hunt. I was very comfortable shooting off sticks out to 100 yards, and glad I was. I needed to make a 110 yard shot at a javelina sharply quartering to me, it was an either hit or miss shot. I hit and made a follow up shot at 84 yards that dropped the animal in its tracks. The first shot was a clean pass through just behind the shoulder, the second shot lodged in the hide after going through a shoulder, the heart and lungs. The round ball that I recovered held up well as usual.
I did carry the rifle cased because everything in the desert wants to poke, scratch, cut, or otherwise hurt you and a rifle stock. The game warden that checked me said that it was the first time in his 30+ years that he’d seen someone hunting with a gun and kit this “old school”…couldn’t have said words that made me feel any better.
That would be one of the funnest hunts to take. Very fine story and wonderful images to boot. Congratulations

Latest posts

Back