• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Japanese hardner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone ever used hardner mixed into permalyn seler/finish. With high humidity I can wait 8 hrs and still have a faint tackyness with permalyn

Put your permalyn finished wood in the sun, you can do a full coat every hour to hour and a half at 80% humidity. If you can't do that make a hot box, put an incandescent light bulb in one end of a box with a small air intake hole, make sure the bulb can't burn your stock or the box or anything else, and a small vent at the other end for the hot air to come out. You can do a full coat every hour to an hour and a half at 80% humidity. Use a dimmer if you only haver big incandescent bulbs, 90-100 degrees is all you need and 100 dries it fast.

I would NOT do anything else to try to force it dry and especially I wouldn't add japan dryer not knowing what is going to happen. The solvents in the permalyn need to dry, time and temp is how that is intended to happen. Maybe it works and maybe it doesn't to add other stuff, very simple ways to do it without reinventing the wheel.

Not Permalyn but linseed. And it worked well. Took about 12 hours to dry vs days for regular linseed.

edit I should add that I probably should of waited a bit longer than 12hrs but it did work. Laurel Mtn claims that Permalyn is " Made with oil-modified polyurethanes". That might be a source of your troubles.

Last edited:
If the wood is dry and sealed it won't move in the sun. No harm in having the barrel in either, whatever works.

Thin, thin coats. Most don’t follow this. Put on and spread about as thin as humanly possible. Dries faster and makes a MUCH better looking finish.

Sunlight and patience are good too. Even without sunlight expect a day between coats.
Make that a double YES

Back