• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jackie Brown smoothrifles?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when I was looking to have a smooth bore built I talked to Jackie and really considered him but had my hart set on another builder. I don`t think I would have a problem having him build me a gun, if if Tg had one I`m sure it was a good one. I always read what tg has to say and I think he knows what he`s talking about.

Jackie and the Mississippi mafia preform an invaluable service for the M/L community.

These fellows churn out an affordable, properly assembled M/Ls.

A lot of fellows like a to have a custom firearm and cannot afford one of Mike Brooks,Birdog6 or some such hand made beauty.

Jackie,Jack Garner, Matt Advance, Mr Christopher all turn out a no frills fairly PC working M/Ls.

They ALL have the capability to use fancy wood, good workman like ability for carving and such, but choose to build what they build and they build a bunch of them !

They are honest about what you get and don't promise you a priceless heirloom.

In the past Jackie had some serious problems in his life and worked through it all, he is one tough son of a gun.

I don't want to put words in his mouth, but if I am not mistaken if you buy a gun from HIM and don't like it - send it back - no hard feelings on either side.

I would offer you the same advise with Jackie or any other builder. If you are buying a already built gun get plenty of up close pictures and talk plenty to the seller. If you think anything is hinky RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN !!!

You must realize a fact of life - Who ever you buy a gun from has your money long before you are ever going to get your hands on the gun.

If you are dealing with an honest person most stories will have an happy ending. If you are dealing with a crook, your money is gone and that is the end of it - Next time build your own.

My score card for this stuff is 6 happy endings one $1100 tomato stake.

I will say this Jackie Brown is not a crook.

Good Luck

Leo

It might be the simplist thing to do is just sell the Pedersoli outright and buy a new ML from Jackie Brown directly

Pepperbelly,
I own a Jackie Brown 54 flintlock that is magnificent. It was built about 15 years ago when Jackie was doing most of the building himself and it is of the highest quality. He went through some problems and got behind in deliveries, quality and some other things but has come back into his own. I have had many conversations with him at Friendship and will say that he is as upright a gentleman as there is. If he tells you something, you can count on it. I wouldn't hesitate to deal with him as his word is his bond. Contact him directly and tell him what you are about, he may remember the gun you are dealing on and can give you the straight scoop.
Mark

roundball said:
It might be the simplist thing to do is just sell the Pedersoli outright and buy a new ML from Jackie Brown directly

RB, that is something I am thinking about. I may not buy a JB rifle, but there are other very good rifle makers out there, and some good ones for sale on this board.

Jm

My first flintlock was a Charleville. It was 'ok', but really didn't fit me well. I sold it, and in all honesty, I wouldn't buy another.

I've had a chance to examine Jackie Brown's guns at Friendship, and to be honest, I liked them, and the only reason I didn't buy one is because while I was there I found some other things that I liked a little better.

However, I did in fact like them, and I would in fact make a trade of a Charleville for one of his guns. You can in fact buy higher end, fancier, and custom made guns from other makers, if you so desire. From examining his guns first hand, I think he makes good examples of common, standard grade guns available to the common man of the Colonial era.

If you want something a bit fancier, and something that would make a heirloom and/or a beautiful example of the custom gunmakers art, then look at other makers - and prepare to spend more money.

If you want a shooter, and a decent and fairly correct common gun of the Colonial era, then by all means, make the trade.

I have a Jackie Brown Carolina Fowler........in .62 caliber..........I have no problem hitting a target the size of a paper plate at 50 yards off hand........I use wheel weight balls .600 in diameter and 70 gr of 3f black. I did put a rear sight on it though. It always goes bang especially after I put a White Lightnin touch hole liner in it. By the way when I pulled the breech plug to make sure the liner wasn't protruding into the chamber, Mr Brown used anti seize on the threads making it easy to remove.................Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
The Widowmaker match is a smoothbore only match shot at 25 yards. The target is a picture of a 1700's soldier with crossed belts on his chest. The point of the match is to put 5 (I think) shots into a small circle at the center of the crossed belts. I have shot the match a number of times and the winners usually have all five shots in a group that can be covered with a folded up dollar bill. It always seems like I have one flier when I try it.

The rules are smoothbore, with no rear sight.

Many KLatch

Bob Spencer has a JB Carolina smoothie, and he loves it.

"I then loaded my 20 gauge Jackie Brown Carolina smoothbore, my constant companion on all these outings, with shot for some rabbit hunting, doused the fire, collected all my gear and set off to find my supper."
http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/simpletrek.html

"Bob's Black Powder Notebook" page is a great place for information and just some downright very enjoyable reading.
http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/

Last edited by a moderator:
I currently own 3 jackie browns a 62cal rifle a 62 cal smoothbore and a recently accuired canoe gun I am very happy with all three I can shoot a 4 inch group off the bench at 50yds with the smoothbore(no rear site) I had a 54cal lancaster rifle which was my first and best because it had fancy wood and a sliding wood patch box.I accuired it in a trade unfortunatly it was stolen about 3yrs ago

Manyklatch, check the rules. The Widowmaker match was created by Lizard and the Widowmakers for Smooth rifles. It was the first smoothrifle match
at Friendship. The modern side now has matches for "sighted Smoothbores" It is true that most people who shoot this match do not own a smoothrifle. But at NMLRA matches it is leagal to shoot a firelock under the required maximum rile.
For instance you can shoot your smoothbore or smoothrifle in the Mountain Man which is a rifle match.. You can't go the other way and shoot your rifle in the smoothbore targets.
This is how the Widowmaker was set up years ago
I confess that I do not know if they have changed the rules. Most of the fellows who had smoothrifles no longer attend Friendship so there is just smoothbores left to shoot it. You got to admit it is fun to put big musket balls into the redcoat target!

Grizz

Hey Grizz, yeah I knew Lizard and the boys started the target. I don't have any smoothbores with rear sights since I can't see a rear sight much anymore anyway. I shot the target with a Bess. It was fun, but I didn't place. I wasn't sure of the rules.

Many Klatch

Back