• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Ivory" grips

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaxenro

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Both the grips and case showed up last week - Christmas in July

Came across this material called banded ivory by a maker of reconstututed gemstone material and had some grips made for my Cimarron 1862 Police

The grips don't show as well in the pics as in person not exactly Ivory but a nice golden yellowish swirl mixed with white sort of a cross between lines and swirls takes a really nice polish

Very nice - I do like the look - could you please tell us what those grips cost you? Years ago (1972) I was making custom knives and I purchased a 12" X 12" X 1" thick block of Ivory Macarta for $80.00 it was a lot of money at that time I shutter to think what that block would be worth today.

The cased pair and especially the grips looks great :thumbsup:

Are the grips light weight or pretty dense? Who made them for you?

Walt Marston made them the block big enough to do both was about $60 but it polishes a lot better than micarta yes very dense hard material I don't think we can do links here but pm me if you want the link to either I have no connection to either except as a consumer

Bill Shumate did the case another quality craftsman

You can post links here, provided they are not from another forum, blog, etc. Commercial sites are OK so post away....if it's a site that you aren't supposed to link to this site won't let you anyway.

Very nice. I'm interested too. Enjoy, J.D.

Thanks. Again, very nice set you have there and the grips do appear very realistic. Enjoy, J.D.

Did they fit without any additional fitting? They do look really nice. I have a Charcoal blue 1860 that needs a pair. Geo. T.

I sent him the grip frames and he purchased the block and made them to fit. He did a pair of walnut burl will post when I get a chance for me as well

ZUG said:
Very nice - I do like the look - could you please tell us what those grips cost you? Years ago (1972) I was making custom knives and I purchased a 12" X 12" X 1" thick block of Ivory Macarta for $80.00 it was a lot of money at that time I shutter to think what that block would be worth today.

I make some items, including pens. The one shown here (mods, only for material example) is made from a phenolic ivory. It did not cost as much as your block, but close. It was extremly hard to turn. I have more left and have procrastinated making more pens from it just because it is so difficult and time consuming. BTW, this pen sold for $300.00. It has a very natural looking ivory appearance. And, not to forget, those grips are beautiful.
ivorypen.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Very nice Rifleman -- you do nice work. As I am starting to age my attention span is waning on laborious tasks. Your attention to detail is awesome. Thanks for the picture, I enjoyed it.

Latest posts

Back