• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

It's time to turn the page..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eric,

Good advice. The only thing I would add is for people to check with a qualified physician or physical therapist first.

I only say that because I've been through the routine and have had success, but my particular issue is such that they do NOT want me doing physical therapy until I cannot get up off the floor. They specifically told me to forget the old "no pain, no gain" adage! I have a specially developed program for my particular condition that avoids movements that will only make the condition worse.

Better to know that what you're doing will be a long-term fix if you stick to it than possibly inflame the issue even more.

Walked the feet right off my legs last year. I'm riding a mule this year.

Warmest Regards,
Robert

Hey Eric,
I completely understand, don't do because I like it, do it because I have to. Some folks just don't get it. I hate the gym, I love what it does for me. Dammit, I'm just not ready to give it up. The docs give me many reasons and excuses to just quit. Hell, what do they know? If I die in the woods at least I'll die happy. Not in a nursing home not remembering my family, like my Dad. I sure do miss him and a man should not have to go out like that. Sorry for the mini-rant. As for me, I'll keep pushing.

Not as old as some of you,
but getting there.
Ross :hatsoff:

switch to birds and you are good to go for another 30 or so.
all the best!!

Good point. Going dove hunting in a couple hours.
Rabbits are good, too.

where to? i am going tomorrow up north by wellington. good dove hunting last weekend, hoping for some more tomorrow. can not wait for pheasants and grouse.

We were up by Johnstown. Can't say where; I'm not familiar with the area. It was a state wildlife area.
We didn't see more than a dozen, one shot/one bird. Had a good chance at a rabbit, too bad bunny season doesn't start for another 3 weeks.

Well Mike, I just sold my complete elk hunting camp today. It isn't a real camp, just a custom designed tent (designed by me after dreaming many years about the ideal). Sims Wood stove and a complete setup. But guess what_____ A super nice and hard working farm kid of 20 yrs. age read my advertisement and drove 300 miles with his mother to buy it. I almost GAVE everything to him. I'll never see the camp or Caleb again but he will have a first rate camp the rest of his life. I am sad, but happy it's in good hands.

My! THat is sad. Are you giving up elk? After reading all the support I have gotten, please don't.

I have not turned the last page yet, but have opened the last chapter. I'll be 62 in Jan., and 40 years of humping the Mtns. as a forester has finally caught up with bad knees and hip. Just today, as I was cleaning the hunting outfit, I was thinking on how to change me hunting....always tracked the Mtn tops, and didn't worry about where I would end up, thinking a little more rational now. I wish that we all could continue as we always have, but now realize that we have joined a close knit fraternity of elder woodsmen,that deserve to continue to share each other's company and stories, Thanks for this thread, I'm starting to feel better already......Gary

Yes Mike I am through. I actually haven't killed a big game animal in 10 years. Just didn't want to shoot. I did hunt until 3 years ago, but quit when the wolves put a real hurtin on the elk. I see lots of elk and deer in my front yard trying to escape the howlers. But I won't shoot. If you would like to see pictures of my elk camp click on (one of the popular advertising sites)- Missoula-elk camp. Good luck to you. Keep on kickin

I live right down the road from you. If you're willing I'm always looking for someone to hunt small game with.

Yeah, I got all psyched to hunt, and the canyon roads are closed! Is there something in the air that is telling me not to hunt??
Thanks for the invite, I may just take you up on it.

Mike, just found this thread -- so thoughtful. I am really pleased to hear you are having second thoughts. I used to hunt with my brothers, but they are in Colorado now, so I don't get out much. And at 60, with two fused discs, I'll admit passing on a shot at a buck down a steep slope. I'd be hard-pressed to pack out a quartered elk, too. Still fond of the birds, and hope to pay more attention to rabbits once Roy Stroh finishes my .40.

Hey Mike,

As a part of a bigger "exercise" I just went through the process of accounting for how I spend my outdoor days. Don't ask why! :rotf:

But I thought some numbers might appeal to you. I spend roughly 150 days a year "in the hills," whether hunting, shooting, fishing, hiking or dodging chores. In contrast to my younger years, more than half is fishing or doing something else rather than hunting or shooting.

But here are the numbers that indicate most about the height of my forehead and shortening stride:

I only spent around 15 days hunting deer, none for elk or moose, and 50 or so for small game and waterfowl.

Looks kinda like I've become a serious small game hunter and a duffer deer hunter, doesn't it?

Truth be known, I'm liking it that way. We don't need much red meat these days, and we're just as happy to eat the small game and birds. I get hundreds of shots per year on small game and birds, compared to a handful or less on large game. And at the end of the day, it's a lot more pleasant and less hard on the body to be packing out meat a meal at a time. :wink:

Good news too, my legs and lungs are stronger for it, and the small game isn't in terrain anywhere near so tough. The small game hunting has me in better shape for the deer hunts too.

Maybe I oughta change my online name from BrownBear to BunnyBuster! :rotf:

Hey Mike I'm starting a new chapter myself. I'm about a decade behind you. Retiring in about a 1/2 month. Most of my hunting buddies are either too busy with honey do's or are still working.

It's hard to find a good hunting partner that can reliable go. Just had one back out of our Buffalo kill. Fortunately, I got my 9 year old daughter who still thinks it's cool to be hunting with dad. When she can't go, I plan on my two faithful hunting buddies Zeke and Tess. We'll try our luck hunting birds. I've had a BP muzzleloader that I've never shot. Time to see how she does.

Latest posts

Back