• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

It's that time of year...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
And with the humidity comes the rust. For background, my shop is in a pole barn-no water issues, and is dry, but unheated and no ac. But, the humidity here in Southside Virginia is atrocious to say the least.

My solution is a green scotch pad followed by paste wax on my tools, but I was wondering how others deal with the problem?

A blast of Hornady One Shot Gun Cleaner and Lube solves my rust issues FOREVER. It has ranked #1 or very near the top in all of the 'preservative tests' seen on the 'net. I've used it exclusively on delicate parts (like locks for guns) for a decade now. It's the best I've found. I use it on chisels, planes, arbors, lathes, bits, gun lockworks, etc. Fantastic, BUT expensive stuff.

fde18869-2041-4f27-855a-dcafb7add28b_1.126dbff7eeda50dbf7f1b62a6babb57b.jpeg

Are we talking tools, or firearms? My garden tools are allowed to get a little surface rust. I couldn't care less about them getting rusty. They still work.

Now, my firearms stay inside my air conditioner house, so rust is not really an issue. A simple wipe down with an oil rag and they're good to go.

My solution is a green scotch pad followed by paste wax on my tools, but I was wondering how others deal with the problem?

Green scotch pads are super rough - especially if you aren't using the 'no scratch' variety! Sure, it'll take the rust off, but it's taking metal too - and leaving a lot of surface area and all sorts of nooks and crannies just inviting more rust. Get out of the janitorial aisle and get thee to the sanding and finishing department! Same scrubby pad format you love, but with a wider variety of color options, i.e. grits! Over time you'll eventually buff out the scratches from the green monster, and once you get a smoother surface on things, you'll notice the rust forms waaayyy slower, and comes off waaaaay easier.

Of course there's always the old school method of a bucket of sand saturated with used motor oil...

Things would rust in my garage, until I insulted it. I just stapled insulation between the studs of the walls (nothing on the ceiling) and the rusting ended. Don’t know if that will work for your situation but it did for me.

I 'insulted' my shop too last year and installed a window unit to control humidity. It was a 800 s.f. humidity box before that and all my machine tools would try to flash rust after every use. Now it's cozy for me AND the tools when it's 105 in the shade and we get a heat shower in the afternoon. In insulated metal buildings trap humidity like crazy and it's difficult to get it out.

As an aside note, wax your table saw table if it’s cast iron. Won’t rust, and the wood slides on it easily.

I 'insulted' my shop too last year and installed a window unit to control humidity. It was a 800 s.f. humidity box before that and all my machine tools would try to flash rust after every use. Now it's cozy for me AND the tools when it's 105 in the shade and we get a heat shower in the afternoon. In insulated metal buildings trap humidity like crazy and it's difficult to get it out.
Thanks for that…darn autocorrect!
Maybe you didn’t insult your shop enough, some shops thrive on abuse!

Another great product discontinued by the SC Johnson family.
I had no idea it was discontinued , I got about 3/4 of a can left. Just happened to be in our local mom and pop hardware store today and they had one can on the shelf for $6. Went ahead and grab it in case I end up living longer than I expect. I actually use it on quite a few things from my wood fur stretchers and fleshing beam to table tops.

Latest posts

Back