• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Items from the UK for help with please...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 60782

32 Cal
Reaction score
Good day,
I was hoping some of you well informed people could help me out identifying the items in the picture. I think they are all to do with black powder guns, but apart from that I have no idea, especially the brass fish?!?I got these at a auction along with a huge wooden cloth lined case which I guess had a gun in it at some time?
Any help is greatly appreciated as I would like these to go to a good home if I can ID them.
Regards Cliff
Black Powder Items.jpg

Most are pretty standard items. The large brass cylinder is a traditions powder flask and the three small ones are spouts for it that will allow you to dispense difrent weight charges from it. the tree dark "L" shaped items are Ruger Old Army nipple wrenches. the long square thing is an in-line capper, the spring may have come out of it. The fish? well if you use your imagination, it could be an oiler, a small container for primer powder or a way to carry some caps if the hole is large enough, or just a nicr looking trinket. The items in the box may be powder measures but I can't see them well enough to say for sure. Hope that is some help.
TCM

I believe the dark L-shaped object in the left foreground is a generic cap and ball revolver nipple wrench, the nipples of which have parallel-sided wrench flats. The Ruger Old Army nipples have hexagonal flats.

If you can spread out and post another picture the parts in the box at the rear center of the photo, perhaps we can be of further assistance to you.

The brass fish is an intriguing item. Can you post more pictures of it, taken from different angles?

The items in the box look very much like plug gauges, scoring gauges that is. The plug has an appropriate sized diameter plug for the hole in the target and there is a flange on the outside to bring all variations in caliber sizes to one dimension. Check out gauges for ISSF, NRA etc. I would agree with the fish being an oiler of some sort, betcha the small fish has an extension that would capture a drop of oil, bit like a dipstick.

That fantastic help, thank you all. More details I have provided. the fish I find has the end part that is removal able and I can hear things inside it. I have tried to take a picture of what this looks like. the parts in the box are all like springs with numbers on th eend on them.
R
PXL_20230717_063705472.jpg
PXL_20230717_063716654.jpg
PXL_20230717_063732857.jpg
PXL_20230717_063943122.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
egards Cliff

ROA457 is right about the plug gauges for scoring paper targets. Good eyes there. Haven’t seen any of those in a LONG time. The numbers correspond to different calibers used in competition. I am interested in any more info that may surface regarding the brass fish.

I wonder if what inside the fish has gone hard over the years, what used to be soft (eg foam etc) to hold the oil has now hardened to the point of being solid? Dogfax does it look round? mishapen? can you scape some off for better identification. I can't see it being powder to prime a flintlock, but willing to accept being wrong. The attachment points on the fish would indicate it hanging from something.

ok so I have prized out the thing rattling and it is as shown (taken via microscope). It was a half sphere shape (now broken in two), see below. I also tried to get a view of inside the dolphin using a USB microscope. I am not getting any smell of oil from teh inside either.
Rgds

Attachments

• WIN_20230717_21_28_47_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20230717_21_28_47_Pro.jpg
    481.7 KB · Views: 0
  • WIN_20230717_21_33_59_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20230717_21_33_59_Pro.jpg
    446.6 KB · Views: 0
  • WIN_20230717_21_35_01_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20230717_21_35_01_Pro.jpg
    494 KB · Views: 0
I wonder if it is powder? Might be worth trying to ignite a small portion. If it does burn, or if the granules look as though it could have been 4f then I’m going for powder to prime a flintlock

Ok found it on Etsy. Described as eyeliner powder bottle...what ever that is 😁. So a bottle for keeping gunpowder in then.
Thank you all for your help. Now to find a good home for these bits.

Attachments

• Brass fish.png
    Brass fish.png
    130.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Just want to say a massive thank you all for your help on educating and informing me on these items. It is very much appreciated.

Happy to be able to give a bit of assistance. Please don't be a stranger around here. There are LOTS of very knowledgeable people who contribute on a regular basis.

Have a great day. :thumb:

Back