• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

C.V. Ramsdell under hammer info needed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotrod85

32 Cal
Reaction score
Good day all, I am new to this forum as well as the black powder world of firearms. While at a gun show yesterday I acquired this beautiful under Hammer percussion rifle. I have re-searched the makers name and have learned that he was a very highly regarded gunsmith up to and shortly after the Civil War. The wooden box that this rifle fits in appears to be very original. The dove tails are all hand cut and all of the screws are straight blade type. The felt lined form that the rifle sits in is made of wood. I have not yet measured the barrel length or the board diameter, I will do that later today. I am hoping that there are some experts among you all who can help me identify what exactly this is and what it’s estimated value is. The barrel is marked C.V Ramsdell with Bangor Ma. Under his name. Then where the barrel meets the receiver there are two other names there. The name on top is R. H. Emery and the name below it is Hitchcock & Muzzy. I can get some more pictures if you tell me exactly what you need to help in identifying with this. I certainly appreciate all of the help.

Attachments

• 61E2BD56-3608-4C56-B3D7-21B94740FF76.jpeg
    61E2BD56-3608-4C56-B3D7-21B94740FF76.jpeg
    936.5 KB · Views: 6
  • D5D6ECFF-5A51-497D-80C8-05968F2EF1F3.jpeg
    D5D6ECFF-5A51-497D-80C8-05968F2EF1F3.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Charles V. Ramsdell, Bangor Maine. Reputed to have built some of the best sharpshooter's rifles used during the Civil War. I recommend you find a copy of "Maine Made Guns and Their Makers" by Demeritt (several editions).

I've ordered the book, excited to see what info it has. rmark, thanks for the link to the article about Hitchcock & Muzzy barrel makers. I've learned that they went out of business & filed bankruptcy in 1857, so that indicates that this gun is pre 1857. Barrels made post 1857 were stamped Muzzy & Co. as he continued to make barrels after the bankruptcy in 1857. Very interesting so far.....

Any idea of what a ballpark value is? I can take more pics if needed to determine the value, just let me know.

I'm a long time fan of underhammer rifles. I bought mine in the mid 1960s and still have it. You have a super nice one.

Hello Scotrod85,
I just joined this forum & am a collector of Maine made guns. Dwight Demeritt's book "Maine Made Guns & Their Makers" is a must. Below is a photo of a Joseph Graves (top) & a C. V. Ramsdell (bottom) buggy rifles similar to the one you have. Fell free to contact me for more information & of course, if you want to sell your rifle, I am interested. Regards,
Jerry

Attachments

• Joseph Graves_C V Ramsdell Rifles_2 (2).jpg
    Joseph Graves_C V Ramsdell Rifles_2 (2).jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 0
What does the barrel measure across flats? 1.25”, 1.5”?
What would you offer for my rifle?
Hello,
Thanks for the response. The rifles in my photo were wrongly identified. Photo of a Joseph Graves is the bottom rifle & the top rifle is C. V. Ramsdell. (.375"). Overall length = 31", barrel length = 17 & 1/4 ", Length of stock = 14". The octagonal section measures 4". On mine each flat measures 3/8".
Jerry

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,
Thanks for the response. The rifles in my photo were wrongly identified. Photo of a Joseph Graves is the bottom rifle & the top rifle is C. V. Ramsdell. (.375"). Overall length = 31", barrel length = 17 & 1/4 ", Length of stock = 14". The octagonal section measures 4". On mine each flat measures 3/8". I would rather have you tell me what you expect to get for the rifle. Regards,
Jerry
Jerry,
See attached photos showing measurements.

Attachments

• IMG_1721.jpg
    IMG_1721.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1722.jpg
    IMG_1722.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1723.jpg
    IMG_1723.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1724.jpg
    IMG_1724.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1725.jpg
    IMG_1725.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1726.jpg
    IMG_1726.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 0
Although i have no proof other than my word, that rifle was stolen from my house in July of 2022. My entire gun safe was taken in a burglary. R.H. Emery is (was) a family member some time ago. The site and bullet mold appear to be missing (.40 cal). I'd be interested to know where you got it from.

Last edited:
Although i have no proof other than my word, that rifle was stolen from my house in July of 2022. My entire gun safe was taken in a burglary. R.H. Emery is (was) a family member some time ago. The site and bullet mold appear to be missing (.40 cal). I'd be interested to know where you got it from.

I’m not saying there is or isn’t any validity to your claims but just to suggest getting in touch with the OP directly thru private message or admins regarding this and see if they might be able to help you.

Latest posts

Back