• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Issue-Rifles With Full Length Stocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShootistJack

To Hunt Is To Live
Reaction score
Do you find that such rifles experience accuracy issues from the stocks warping in various weather conditions?
We all know of methods used on modern rifles to combat this. As a very unknowledgeable person in the flintlock
rifle world, I keep developing questions about them.

There should not be enough forestock wood to affect the barrel in any way, and slots in the tenons as noted above should allow more than enough leeway to accommodate expansion/contraction.

At least half of the antiques that I've torn apart have simple drilled holes through the lugs - no slots. can't say it's recommended, but apparently a large proportion of old gunsmith dudes were not concerned.

On the other hand, I have definitely seen stock blanks with barrels inlet (full stock blanks, not precarved or slabbed down) warp/move depending upon the humidity, and I have seen these stocks actually warp enough to bend the barrel. No s**t. So here again, the idea behind having a slender forearm with little wood remaining makes sense. There should in no way be enough wood left in a forearm to have any effect upon a barrel unless the barrel happens to be a noodle.

Yes, that's something that definitely can happen. I'm sure it's one reason for many broken forestocks, although (jmho) I don't think it was something that happened quickly or early in the stocks' lives unless someone happened to be out in soaking downpour and subsequently brought the rifle in immediately next to a fire. It also can happen if the wood was at a much higher humidity level at the time tenons were drilled and later it spent considerable time at a much drier humidity level. Slotting the tenons is certainly the "right" thing to do.

Do you find that such rifles experience accuracy issues from the stocks warping in various weather conditions?
We all know of methods used on modern rifles to combat this. As a very unknowledgeable person in the flintlock
rifle world, I keep developing questions about them.
I recently had two guns rebarreled. Both were Dixie Tennessee Mountain Rifles, that were rebarreled from 41 inch barrels to 36 inch barrels.

The 1st gun (.45 calibre) was pinned in 3 places, two that were original tennon locations and the 3rd was about 2 inches from the end of the barrel. That gun shoots single hole groups at 50 yards.

1B08BC96-5FD8-4452-BC52-30CF6693638C.jpeg

The second gun (.54 calibre before I browned the barrel) was only only pinned at the original factory locations. So the last 10-11 inches of stock, did not have a barrel tennon. The gun shot pie plate sized groups at 50 yards. It was so frustrating. I had an idea and started squeezing the stock and muzzle together before each shot, and suddenly the gun is shooting 3 inch groups at 50 yards.

Took the gun back and had the final barrel tennon installed near the muzzle and the gun shoots single hole groups, just like it’s twin.

Last edited:
I recently had two guns rebarreled. Both were Dixie Tennessee Mountain Rifles, that were rebarreled from 41 inch barrels to 36 inch barrels.

The 1st gun (.45 calibre) was pinned in 3 places, two that were original tennon locations and the 3rd was about 2 inches from the end of the barrel. That gun shoots single hole groups at 50 yards.

View attachment 136486

The second gun (.54 calibre before I browned the barrel) was only only pinned at the original factory locations. So the last 10-11 inches of stock, did not have a barrel tennon. The gun shot pie plate sized groups at 50 yards. It was so frustrating. I had an idea and started squeezing the stock and muzzle together before each shot, and suddenly the gun is shooting 3 inch groups at 50 yards.

Took the gun back and had the final barrel tennon installed near the muzzle and the gun shoots single hole groups, just like it’s twin.
Excellent report. I have a couple of these and have wondered about shortening one of them. Looks good.

Never had a stock warp or affect accuracy. I guess my stocks have enough "wiggle" room to stay stable.

Not a bad question!

Keep in mind that the barrels are pretty much a lot thicker in a muzzleloading rifle than in their modern offspring, so as mentioned by others the stock reacting to the humidity isn't a factor for accuracy. Also the physics involved with the much slower burning and thus lower pressure from the propellant, coupled with the relatively "short" shooting distances (compared again to modern offspring) means little trouble with barrel harmonics and external pressures. In fact I'd suggest that controlling recoil with weight and sight follow-through to prevent recoil from imparting some inaccuracy is more of a factor, than what the fellow with modern rifles must be concerned about.

LD

Latest posts

Back