• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is Britsmoothy MIA?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In UK firearms law, the limitations are clearly defined with regard to shooting a single projectile from a smooth-bore, single-shot. muzzleloading firearm. You may do so without any breaking of the law, provided that your firearm is a muzzleloader, on the type of authorisation governing their legal use. This is permitted to holders of a Section 2 [Shotgun] certificate.

However, modern-style firearms that use cartridges MUST have a Section 1[Rifled] Firearms certificate - for the purposes of legality here, the single projectile - in the form of a slug of some kind - magically transforms the shotgun into a rifle....

Britsmoothy seems to have had the misfortune of running foul of some person who clearly is ignorant of the law, but nevertheless has made life difficult for him.

Such 'anti's' are rara aves in UK, where most people know little or nothing about guns, or in some cases like think think they know that we gun-owners spend our little lives trying to figure out ways of getting around the law. Instead of this, we live in a constant state of trepidation, in case the law-makers come up with something out of the blue that 'cr*ps on our hats' while we are looking elsewhere.
Appreciate the clarification on the laws, in my opinion it seems it would take a special kind of low life to try to cause legal problems for someone just because of an online grudge, probably someone who is miserable in their own pathetic life and somehow something like that would make them feel superior.

I think in the UK game animals and birds belong to the land owner, unlike here where game is MANAGED by the state they are in.
I’m not trying to be snarky, but there’s an important distinction between ‘owned’ and ‘managed’ as the North American Model for Wildlife Conservation indicates they belong to the public trust.

I can’t tell you the quantity of information I received from Britt on this forum. Sad to see him go.

Wonder what was the main reason that he left the forums
Feltwad
That would be anyone’s guess as Brit would be the only person that knows the reason for sure, we can only speculate, other than enjoying reading his stories and usually not the entirety of the responses I never had much interaction with him, yourself and Brit seemed to have more in common and more interaction, what’s your opinion if any on a possible reason.

This is sad news indeed. Not only did I enjoy his posts, but I pm’d him several times with questions. He was always helpful and kind. I learned a lot from him. Hope he comes back.

Somewhat related to my reasoning behind a topic I posted a few months ago about how relatively few of us actually know eachother.... I hope the folks in the examples I gave don't mind.

There are 6 pages already of condolences and we'll wishes for a forum member that just lost his dad,,, most if not all of us did not know either of them. 13 pages for Zonie passing. Many other similar topics with several pages for family of members, again,,,, most of whom none of us know.

Maybe if a few of you/us had treated @Britsmoothy and Spence with the same respect they would still be here sharing their adventures, knowledge and inspiration with us.
Maybe if some egos were kept in check, and a little humility was demonstrated, along with a whole lot of, "mind your damn business," on the part of the fella starting legal issues,,,, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
You may think you know it all,,, but you don't.
You may think your way is the only way or the best way,,, but it probably isn't the only way,,, and it is only the best way if you can prove it.
How many here got on a high horse when asked to prove something or disprove something that might be somewhat controversial in discussions with either gentleman?
If you got uppity and rude when asked for evidence of something you asserted but couldn't prove,,,, you are the reason we are having this conversation.
If you make all your statements about your methods and equipment in a manner to suggest that you know all and your way is the best or only way,, you are the reason we keep having these conversations.

As to those who claim to think that it's only words and they don't matter and can't really hurt anyone... Do some honest heartfelt soul searching. You are wrong. Can you honestly tell yourself, never mind me or anyone else, that you can't think of anything you have said to someone no matter how long ago that you'd desperately like to take back? I realize that I am dealing with some mega-egos here, but can you honestly tell yourself that you can't think of things said to you, even as a kid, that don't effect you to this day, at least when you think about them? Maybe these are the reasons behind your b.s. bravado and resistance to proving what you say?

Some people try to give advice and help people because they like to,,, like Spence and Britsmoothy,,,, others only post their "advice" to stroke their own ego and get attention. How many of the former do we need to loose? I think the former are more likely to be the type to get fed up and leave...

I do not know for sure but I think there were some who were jealous and snarky toward him.
Possibly because he was still enjoying what others through either age, infirmity or whatever were no longer able to do.
Just a guess.

I’m not trying to be snarky, but there’s an important distinction between ‘owned’ and ‘managed’ as the North American Model for Wildlife Conservation indicates they belong to the public trust.

I can’t tell you the quantity of information I received from Britt on this forum. Sad to see him go.

Semantics, also know as nitpicking.

I am good at what I do in the bow making area, just so so in the gun building area, on every board there are people who seem to think that their mission in life is to knock me down a notch or two and make themselves look superior.

I used to fire back at their putdowns but now just let it go, before I type anything I think "what do I gain by posting a caustic reply and what to I loose". The answer is always that I gain nothing but may loose the respect of others who read my posts, therefore I keep quiet.

Fortunately we have a lockbox here but not at any of the other places I visit, I have several jerks in the lockbox here as we speak.

Ownership of Wild Animals in UK
Can a person legally own a live wild animal?

A person cannot own, ‘absolutely’, a wild animal while it is alive. However, in certain situations a person may be regarded as being the ‘qualified’ owner of a live wild animal.

Where a person owns something ‘absolutely’ they own it unconditionally and are free to treat, use or dispose of it as they wish. In the case of animals this is subject to legislation such as that relating to the welfare of animals.

Where ownership is ‘qualified’ the person does not have an exclusive or permanent right to the wild animal.

Certain animals are deemed the property of the Crown, for example, whales, sturgeon and wild and unmarked swans and, therefore, cannot be owned by a person other than the Crown [NB, for readers on this forum - the 'Crown is NOT the person of the ruling monarch, but the authority governing so-called Crown estate and property, such as that of the Royal Parks - ALL of which are open to the public, BTW]

‘Qualified’ ownership, in the case of live wild animals, can arise in one of three ways.

Tame and reclaimed wild animals
  • Where a person lawfully takes, tames, or reclaims a living wild animal, they can acquire qualified ownership in the wild animal. Once a wild animal has been acquired in this manner, the wild animal becomes the property of the person who has taken, tamed or reclaimed them. The animal remains in the ownership of that person until it is released or it escapes and reverts back to the wild and has no intention of returning to the person.
  • Examples of animals falling within this category will include deer, doves kept in dove coops, wild animals kept by a sanctuary and wild animals kept by a zoo.
  • In many instances, however, there is legislation which prevents a person from lawfully taking, taming or reclaiming a wild animal.
  • In the case of bees, a person can only become their legal owner when the bees are reclaimed by that person and put in a hive. Once they have been hived, the person who put them in the hive becomes the owner and they remain the property of that person even after the bees leave the hive for so long as the bees can be seen and followed. However, ordinarily the owner of the bees will not have the right to follow the swarm on to land belonging to someone else unless they obtain that person’s permission.
Wild animals born on a person’s land
  • Where wild animals are born on land belonging to a person that person ordinarily becomes the qualified owner of the animals. Such animals remain within the ownership of that person until the animals can run or fly away.
  • In the case of cygnets ownership is, however, divided between the owners of the cock and hen swans where they are owned by different people.
Hunting rights
  • If a land owner has an exclusive right to hunt, take and kill wild animals, on his own land, he is regarded as being the qualified owner of such animals while they remain on his land.
  • If the land owner, however, grants the right to hunt, take and kill the wild animals to another person, that other person will be regarded as being the qualified owner of such animals. However, a license of this nature will only be valid if it is created by a deed.
A person cannot legally own ‘absolutely’ game (pheasants, hares and the like). However, the law recognises the need to protect private interests in game. The law does this by limiting rights over game to certain classes of people and by creating criminal offences relating to the taking or destroying of the eggs of certain birds.

What about dead wild animals?
It is possible to own ‘absolutely’ a dead wild animal. When a wild animal dies or is killed the owner of the land on which the animal died or was killed becomes the legal owner of the animal, unless shooting or sporting rights have been granted to another person, in which case that person becomes the owner.

A trespasser, or poacher, who kills a wild animal, will not acquire legal ownership of the animal.

Have crossbow will travel
NOT in UK. :(
Look here me I was trained by the best no one would find me
I have the skills n ability to find cordage, wood for bow or stockand projectiles on site
make it

do the things I need to do to those trolls

and then get out
no one is the wiser

except for a few trolls no longer sucking the precious era freedom

God bless you all

let’s go Brandon

I need to get back to my regular job that I hate but it puts food on the table
What the heck has any of this to do with the topic,,,, even remotely?!

Oh yeah,,,, a good example of a troll...

Please don't go away mad, just go away..

That would be anyone’s guess as Brit would be the only person that knows the reason for sure, we can only speculate, other than enjoying reading his stories and usually not the entirety of the responses I never had much interaction with him, yourself and Brit seemed to have more in common and more interaction, what’s your opinion if any on a possible reason.
Just attitude to others and UK law including the game laws.
Feltwad

Thanks Tom. Your last post will no doubt be read with interest by Members from Other parts of the world (and Some Brits). Our game and wildlife laws ,when laid out so concisely,fail to be confusing..
apart of course,from the remaining part which covers Game and Legal Water Fowl below the High Water Mark and it's variation between England + Wales and Scotland + N.Ireland, just to add a little confusion.Take Care ***.. :dunno:.. OLOD DOG..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back