• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is anybody from Mass.?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WabishMukwa

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Greetings fellas,
I'm curious about the ML laws and restrictions (if any) in Massachusetts.Hunting,purchasing ML guns and stuff.I might have to settle there soon.
Thanks
WB :hatsoff:

No permit needed for traditional cap/flintlocks, powder, balls, caps. Permit needed to purchase caps, powder.

Cannot mail order caps/powder, not sure about complete BP firearms. Parts are O.K. , I think?

ML guns are considered unloaded when uncapped/primed. ALL long guns must be cased for transport.

Unlike modern guns/inlines, MLs do not have to be locked up when not in use. (E.g. wait a minute Mr. rapist/burgler/murderer, I've got to find the key to my gun..... :youcrazy: )

Inlines are regulated by the same laws as cartridge guns, you need a permit to carry.

Check DFW website for hunting regs:
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/

P.S. I'm glad Vt. is nearby :thumbsup:

Hello,
Mass has some strict gun laws, and a tiered licensing system for different types of weapons. However traditional caplock and flintlock muzzloaders fall outside of this where to own and purchase one you only need to be 18 or older. We have a 3 week muzzleloading hunting season following shotgun season ( last part of Dec.) you do need a permit to purchase caps and powder.
The biggest problem is that you cannot mailorder powder and it can be difficult to mailorder firearms for shipment into the state.

Hunting info, mass.gov/masswildlife
Mass gun laws info,[url] www.goal.org[/url]

Let me know if you have more questions.
H

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot Mr.Hobbs,
Is that possible if I order let say a flinter kit,or a complete gun,but a touchhole is not drilled.It could be considered as a non firing replica gun? (just like in Canada)
What do you think?
Thx
WB :)

I do not know about specifics in a situation like that. The only problem with mail order is that the AG in the state has done some stings on some of the larger sellers who sold to people who are under 18. From what I understand as long as the seller can verify your age they should be able to ship it to you. I am going to be testing it out pretty soon as I may be ordering a new flinter kit, if I can finally settle on what I want to build.

H

You can to the Gun Owners Action League website and find a complete list of all of the muzzleloading regulations.

As stated, muzzleloaders are pretty much ignored by the Massachusetts Gun laws to an extent. You don't need a license to carry to own and use an inline muzzleloader. Only if it is a break open muzzleloader that can be converted to a centerfire such as the TC Encore or G2/Contender.

Also, you would need to get a license to carry for a muzzleloading handgun or cap and ball revolver. It is odd in that you don't need one to buy or have in your home, but you need that license if you want to carry and shoot your muzzleloading handgun.

Many people here buy their powder and percussion caps over state lines at places like Kittery Trading Post in Maine.

Here is their main site:
[url] http://www.goal.org/[/url]

Here is a link to the PDF on muzzleloading laws.
[url] http://www.goal.org/PDF/primitive.pdf[/url]

I wish you well.

Last edited by a moderator:
WabishMukwa:

Not to repeat, but GOAL is a great site. I purchased a "parts" kit from Track of the Wolf, no problem (short of having to put the parts together into a rifle). Powder can be a problem, but a gun shop in Lawerance MA carries the stuff, in spite of several attempts to get them to give it up. Also, as noted, you can always go to Kittery Trading Post in Maine. For a powder buy in MA you need a licence or FID. Where are you coming from and where do you expect to land in MA?

Mike

"P.S. I'm glad Vt. is nearby"

Grew up in MA not far from Claypipe. When it was time to look for a place to return to I was glad that VT was so near. Extended family is in MA and I will live near Putney. Had a wonderful childhood wandering the woods in Central MA but went to VT to find a place like that today. GC

I don't want to get anyone into TROUBLE!!!

Mass laws define MLs diferently between traditional and modern/inline, go try to purchase an inline without an FID/permit to carry, you won't get one!

If you are caught with one and do not have an FID/LTC----> got some soap on a rope? Hope you can afford a 1-year "vacation", e.g. Mandatory 1-year term.

I have bought inlines without a LTC or anything in this state. The rule applies to those that can be converted to use a modern cartridge.

Those dealers are at risk!!!

Read the acutal statue in MGL, says nothing about inlines or that they do not need FID/LTC, it delineates pre 1897 (I believe ) design. Basically what federal laws classify as firearm......says nothing about ML exempt, .....newer ML designs are not pre 1897.........you are at risk without FID/LTC!!!!

If I'm wrong I'm VERY SORRY, but if I'm not I might have saved someone a year of their life............ :v

P.S. GOAL is a great resource/website/organization. If they advise about the above be sure it's accurate :thumbsup:

P.P.S. LOOK at link to the website above, AND the warning!!!!! That the Mass DFW (and Mass law enforcecment) does not recognize ML the same as the other state agencies ( e.g. local police , eniviromental police, state polce......)

Hello Mike,
I'm planning to land and settle in the Norwood area.It depends on it if I will get the contract from the company.Looks like an 85% now.
Thx
WB

No trouble.I'm not a fan of inline guns anyway.Prefer the ye olde flinters. :thumbsup:
Thx for your concern.I appreciate it.
WB :winking:

Norwood. Oh well, I am North Shore, looking for recruits for my "Fish and Game" Association. You will have to call around for powder - and make sure to ask if they have anything else than FFg. Otherwise, it is a long drive.

Mike

From MGL Chap. 140 sec. 121

The provisions of sections 122 to 129D, inclusive, and sections 131, 131A, 131B and 131E shall not apply to:

(A) any firearm, rifle or shotgun manufactured in or prior to the year 1899;

(B) any replica of any firearm, rifle or shotgun described in clause (A) if such replica: (i) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition; or (ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade; and

(C) manufacturers or wholesalers of firearms, rifles, shotguns or machine guns.

Anyway, pre 1899 or replicas are exempt.

I've been told that converting a prec. rifle to accept a 209 primer makes it "modernized" and will then fall under above firearms laws.

As inlines are not "replicas" they ARE considered firearms and require LTC/FID.

The 209 primer does not make a BP firearm a modern firearm. An in-line is not considered a modern firearm according to the ATF.
BP Revolvers are in-lines just by the design.

Only as stated in previous post, "IF" it is capable of having a fixed ammunition barrel attached then it falls under the ATF's ruling.

That 209 primer deal was fought in federal court and the government lost.

The ATF has a list of BP firearms that have to be claimed on the 4473 and a NICS check is required.

Regards
Bill

Latest posts

Back