• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Investarms Hawken, Plains style rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking at an Investarms rifle that was sold by Safari Arms, Toronto, Ontario. I have an Investarms GPR and a Plains rifle both from Lyman. There's nothing special about this rifle except it has two barrel wedges like a GPR but looks like a Hawken style rifle. I searched Investarms site and the net and can't find another like this. The lock and other bits are identical to whats on my Lyman 'Plains' rifle. I'm wondering if it was a one-off for Safari Arms. It appears to have same patchbox as a 120 b.
20201110_132201.jpg
20201110_132849.jpg
20201110_132910.jpg
20201110_131500.jpg

Last edited:
I can't help you with identification (other than yes it is an Investarms product) but I will say that it is a very cool find!

Nice looking wood on that rifle.
I don't have it in my possession yet. I took a gamble on it. Judging by the crud around the nipple, I'm a little leary. The seller said the bore looked good. The fact it has 'Canada ' stamped on it makes it a bit of a want for me even though I know its made in Italy. The 2 wedges are what got my attention.

I have a few Investarms rifles and shotguns. They are well made guns for mass production. In fact, my first muzzleloader was an Investarms Hawken made for Safari Arms back in 1980. Your gun is very similar to the present Investarms model 160 except you have a patchbox and brass trim. I suspect that's because it is an older gun when they were offered in that trim. Safari Arms hasn't been around for awhile. There should actually be a couple of letters on the gun for a date code. Speaking of different trim. 3 weeks ago I picked up another Safari Arms Hawken in 58 caliber. It has engraving on all brass furniture including the wedge pin. I did not know that embellishment was offered but looking on the internet I came across a couple of others. I don't know if it was something they did on older guns or if it was just the 58 caliber.

I'm looking at an Investarms rifle that was sold by Safari Arms, Toronto, Ontario. I have an Investarms GPR and a Plains rifle both from Lyman. There's nothing special about this rifle except it has two barrel wedges like a GPR but looks like a Hawken style rifle. I searched Investarms site and the net and can't find another like this. The lock and other bits are identical to whats on my Lyman 'Plains' rifle. I'm wondering if it was a one-off for Safari Arms. It appears to have same patchbox as a 120 b.View attachment 49673View attachment 49674View attachment 49675View attachment 49668
Yup, it's the same patchbox but the 120B only has one wedge key.

I finally received the Safari Arms Hawken .50 and did some comparisons with my Lyman Plains Rifle/ Investarms 120A.
It basically is an Investarms 120B but with 2 barrel wedges. The barrels are the same length. I don't like the modern rear sight on it. Unfortunately it's not a dovetail mount and I might have to get creative to make it more traditional. The wood is quite nice and the brass has a nice aged look. I won't be polishing this one. The bore did have some rust starting but it hadn't started pitting yet and cleaned right up. So all and all I'm quite happy I have a slightly unique 2 wedge 'Plains' style rifle. Range day tomorrow!
20201126_131302.jpg
20201126_131246.jpg
20201126_130930.jpg

I had one of these in the early 80s, but with a single wedge.

The quality was excellent, almost as nice as my TC Hawken, although I agree that the rear sight wasn't as good.

Back