• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

investarms fowler?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chickenlittle

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I found a classified ad for a gun and figured I'd see if this learned board might be able to tell me something before I inquire about it.

The ad says Investarms fowler, 20g, caplock, 28" barrel, 1/2 oct - 1/2 round, $180.

I know Investarms is Italian and makes pretty nice flint and percussion guns for Lyman and Cabela's. I was wondering about when this gun might have been made. Anybody know anything about this gun? Ever seen one? Were they marketed under Investarms name or for a US outfit?

I keep wanting a smoothbore pretty bad. I'd really rather get a flintlock but don't want to spend much right now. At this price, I'd be willing to take a chance on it.

Investarms is the U.S. importer not the maker. I assume, not usually a good idea, that the gun is an Italian product but may be Spanish. You need to find out from the seller some more details such as age, condition, etc. The price is interesting and makers me wonder if the gun may have problems or is one of the early imports of questionable quality. Realy would advise getting pictures before sending money.

The importing part doesn't seem to be right. But it leads me to ask whether Investarm and Investarms are one and the same? A google seach connects both names to Cabela's Hawken and to Lyman's guns, as well as to modern shotguns.

I first checked Lyman's website and their FAQs say their guns "are made in Italy, by Investarm". I then got out my manuals for my Lyman GPR, one by Lyman and one with the name Investarm SPA Fabrica D'Armi. Investarm's website is Investarm.com. They only show modern o/u guns but the site says they make replicas of antique guns.

So unless someone knows for sure who Investarms is, I'm guessing this "Investarms fowler" is really an Investarm "fowler", made in Italy.

All this searching did get me two other facts. Track of the Wolf had a nice looking Investarm Gallyon Shotgun for sale. Second, the Investarm manual that came with my GPR includes max loads for a 20g shotgun, 75gr FFg and 1 oz shot, but doesn't list a roundball load. While looking at the manual, I also noticed that the max recommended loads for my .54 cal GPR are 10 gr lower in the Investarm manual than the Lyman manual.

I guess I'll call tomorrow and see if the seller (a gun shop) knows any more than the little I've already figured out.

The importing part doesn't seem to be right. But it leads me to ask whether Investarm and Investarms are one and the same? A google seach connects both names to Cabela's Hawken and to Lyman's guns, as well as to modern shotguns.
Investarm SPA Fabrica D'Armi.

Chickenlittle......I agree with you 100% based on my own chasing of this mysterious Investarm outfit.
I have both the guns you mentioned, I have read the books, and I have "googled", and "dogpiled" myself into a complete circle with very few good solid answers.
I do feel Investarm, and Investarms, is the same, both being represented by a large "I" that looks more like an inverted "H" on it's side, the SPA Fabrica D'Armi is the actual factory.
I know of one such smoothie, where the fellow insists it was made in Spain, although there is nothing to prove either way where it was made. I feel strongly that it is nothing more than one factory turning out guns for other companies, much like our own "Sear's Roebuck"..."Montgomery Wards"..."Western Auto" etc, and Savage, Marlin, or other major American Mfg. Believe it or not, they are still many people, even today, who believe their daddy's gun was made by none other than Ted Williams.
And, to add insult to injury, some of these guns were even better quality than the manufactures own models.
I personally find it hard to differentiate between the quality of the Cabella's and the quality of the Lyman, with the one exception of a longer barrel. And the wood "may" be of a somewhat better grade.
I have only come across two...if I remember correctly, Investarm rifles. Both were marked Investarm, with no other name markings.
My best guess is Investarm guns are quality guns in muzzleloaders, when it comes to an store bought muzzleloaders.
Just my thoughts,
Russ

Inverstarms/Investarm are one and the same- they are an importer, not a maker, just as stated, and yes, due to there really being poor to no warrantee unless provided by the importer, things can get dicey if problems arrise. Guys here have been unable to get ANY warrantee from some of the importers of Italian and Spanish arms. As well, guns made in India don't have any mfg'r. warrantee - only that provided by whoever imports the arm. As well, some don't carry parts. That was the problem with the Spanish guns. No parts, however Dixie carries a vast amount of parts.

Back