• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Intro for Big Bear Joe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello I'm Joe. I've been shooting in the monthly Big Bear Valley Charcoal Burners in Big Bear Lake CA for a few years now. Our club shoots are monthly and we shoot rifle, pistol, and shotgun during the non-snowy months. We often do after-shoot knife and hawk throwing. Inlines and cap-and-ball revolvers not allowed. My guns are a Lyman 54 cal flintlock Trade Rifle (investarms Italy), a Pedersoli Kentucky 54 cal flintlock pistol, and a Navy Arms 12 ga SxS in percussion until I find a good flintlock SxS. They are all loaded with genuine blackpowder only, the rifle and pistol with patched round balls and SxS with over powder ballistic card, 1/2" fiber wad, 1-1/4 oz No. 8 shot and overshot card. We shoot trap with blackpowder shotgun, and the load above holds a great pattern with either barrel and they are both very well centered at 30 yds.

With enough practice it's possible to not blink or flinch from the time the lock Springs, pan flashes and explodes in front your face, the barrel powder explodes, and a big black cloud obscurs the target! Lol, yes it can be done

Thanks for the additiin to the Group, I've already posted a question

Big BearJoe
Hello Big bear Joe, I am from oak Hills on the top of the Cajon pass. I wood like to learn more about your group and you shoots.

Years and years ago I was from Redlands, Ca. I'm curious, where do you buy your black powder at down there in Kommiefornia?
One of the guys used to make group purchases. Last going price was about $10 for a pound of goex. I was recently given some by a friend whose father shot blackpowder years ago. It still works great so I have a little supply that should last a while. I use Thomas Fuller English flints and usually get 20 to 25 firings off between flints

Hello Big bear Joe, I am from oak Hills on the top of the Cajon pass. I wood like to learn more about your group and you shoots.
We shoot at Bear Valley Sportsman's range third Saturday of each month at 10:00 AM. Recommend you bring your rifle to start, that is the main event. Pistol is concurrent for those having the time to do both without holding up the group, shotgun is after the rifle. There is typically a special challenge side event that varies from making groups of three or four shooters and first group to split a hanging 4X4 wins, to special targets "splitting hairs" (rubber band), to $1 a shot bullseye shoot. It's a lot of fun and new shooters are always welcome.

Back