• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Interesting J Russell Knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen quite a few of them on this here internetz, so they're not that uncommon. I don't know exactly what the bolsters are made of, nor how they are attached... :hmm:

My first thought were that they were cast in place of tin/pewter, but it looks like the bolster is pitted about the same as the blade so maybe they are steel. They look quite thin on the side view.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sort of unique. Looks more like sheet metal bent to shape than cast bolsters. Bernard Levine has some examples from the very late 1890's but I think the bolsters were cast in place and had more of a fancy pattern.

I always figured they were sheet iron, and pinned/rivetted onto the wood handles, but I've never seen them up close.

In the Bernard Levine knife book the photographs look like the bolsters are pewter cast with a Fleur de lei(sic?) type decoration. Late 1890's. The blades were of the sheep skinner type.

They were done both ways - sheet metal as done in the pictured item as well as cast pewter.

I'd recommend "The Skinning Knife Book" by M. H. Cole - it has lots of info on these types of knives including the plethora of makers. Not cheap but a very good resource.

Chuck, do you recall the dates on either? I was just working from memory on the late 1880's and 1890's.

It looks a lot like an old knife that I got from my wife's cousin. It was used for killing the hogs by their grandfather. Mine is a Star Cutlery knife though, not a Russell.

Back