• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Installing new bayonet lug

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farren55

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a flintlock that is just long enough to fit the definition of of a British Infantry Heavy Carbine (the model appears to be based off of a Brown Bess) to for whatever reason there is no bayonet lug seems the length of the barrel that had it has been cut off.

So now my question does anyone know a good way to attach a bayonet lug to a Smooth-bore barrel? I won't dovetail because I fear going through the barrel itself (unless this isn't a problem for adding metal).

So what would be a good method?

As the previous poster said, low temp silver solder works well. But the lug to barrel fit has to be very tight. I wrapped medium grit emery paper around my musket barrel where the lug was to be located and slid the lug back and forth on the emery paper until the bottom of the lug was concave with a radius that matched the top of the barrel. Then tin the bottom of the lug with solder, flux the lug and the barrel, clamp the lug in place and heat the barrel with a propane torch until the solder melts.

Hi Farren,
On the original muskets I examined, it seems the maker filed a very shallow flat on the barrel. It is like cutting a slot for a sight without filing the dovetail but it is also very very shallow and just flattens the crest of the curved barrel where the lug will go. That creates a flat surface about the size of the lug to which the rectangular lug was brazed. I do it the same way on muskets I've built but rather than braze, I use Brownell's Hi-Force 44 low temperature silver solder (4-6% silver, rest is tin). That does the trick and is very strong but you must make sure the area to be soldered is scrupulously clean. The solder flows at 475 degrees, sufficiently low to avoid scaling the barrel but heat slowly and do not overheat. I flux the barrel and lug, place the lug on the barrel and hold it in place with a small "C" clamp (gently), hold the barrel in a vice so the lug is a angled a little to the side, then place a little solder on the high side of the lug. Heat the lug and barrel slowly from the low side of the lug until the solder flows and is sucked under the lug toward the heat. Let cool and clean with water and mild soap and then file off any excess solder.

dave

Back