• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

inlet problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackNet

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a rather nasty problem with the inlet work I am trying to do on this butplate. The stock is curly maple and im using 1/8" and 1/4" chisels. At some points it it will chip and im not sure what I can do to prevent that. Someone said there may be something I can treat the stock with before I start chiseling away at it to harden the wood up.

any suggestions what im doing wrong here or why it's chipping?

Ed

The only time I have had this problem was when my chisels were dull or I was cutting outwards away from the stock. So my only advice is to keep those chisels honed and work inward towards the center. :thumbsup:

It took me a long time before I knew what sharp is. After stoning, strop with buffing compound on a flat piece of wood.

With curly maple, someines one has to cut in one direction, then the other, in the space of half an inch.

Take small bites!

come to think of it I didn't sharpen these and they are new. These are the flat ones from TOW not the german ones. Will sharpen them and see what happens.

Ed

might not be PC but ya can use a dremel to smooth out anything on yer gun...........bob

Sounds like dull chisels to me also. One trick that might help is to dampen the end grain. Not soaking wet. I use a small spray bottle to mist the area. I don't have clue how this helps but it does. But there is no trick that will take the place of a sharp chisel. Like Rich, I thought I knew what sharp was until I started using a strop and compound.
PD

I've inletted BPs using a chisel and didn't have any problem, if as mentioned previously, the chisels are very sharp and the chiseling is from the outside to the inside or staight up or down. My complaint is that it takes so dog gone long w/ that hard end grain, so I use a Dremel w/ a 3/8" cutter to rough in and a 3/8" sandpaper wheel for a final fit, w/ some cutting w/ a chisel. Not PC but it sure does work!......Fred

Like I said...not very PC, but after many years of using hand power tools, I'm very comfortable using them. Some are not!.....Fred

Over the past 25 years, I've worn out 2 Dremels. This past Christmas, I treated myself to a Foredom complete with a foot control. I use dental bits, industrial diamond bits, plus other bits. I inlet using candle smoke and too much time. I have the greatest respect for the folks who inlet 100% with chisels. I saw many examples of this type of work at the 2005 Contemporary Longrifle Show in Lexington, KY.

Back