• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Info on pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ficht295

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I am looking for info on a pistol I bought several years back. I have neglected it over the last years, but I am looking to start shooting it some more, and getting back into my blackpowder guns. The only stamping it has on it is (asm black powder only caliber 44 made in italy.) Also has a serial number on it D07399.)I am looking for just some history and some info on powder, bullet, and some loads for the gun.

Is the "pistol" a pistol or revolver? A lot of people interchange those terms, but the actual pieces are not the same. There should be or might be a caliber marking stamped on the side of the barrel or frame. I'd guess the gun you are referring to is a revolver. It could be a Colt copy or Remington copy. And I would guess the caliber is either .36 or .45 cal.

It would be easier to help you if there was a little more information to go on. :idunno:

It's an "Armi San Marco" and "Armi" means roughly armory or gun maker in Italian. I have a couple ASMs and they are good serviceable guns, but spare parts may be difficult to come by as they are not totally interchangeable with Uberti or Pietta from what I've been lead to believe. Still, I've only had to replace trigger return springs on mine and they are interchangeable. The grip frame screws are different from Uberti.

My ASM 1860 Army is a great shooter. 2.5 inch groups at 20 yards being normal. I load 30 grains of black, fffg and a .454 swaged ball.

Dan

Welcome to the Forum. :)

I agree that we need to know whether your pistol is a revolver or a single shot gun. It makes a big difference in the load.

Although the .44 caliber for instance is a good starting place, a .44 caliber single shot pistol would use a .430 diameter roundball patched with a .010-.015 thick cotton patch.

A .44 caliber revolver on the other hand would use a .454 or .457 diameter roundball without a patch. The roundball used in a revolver is oversize and is pressed into the chamber with the loading lever.
This shears off a ring of lead from the ball and provides a gas/flame tight fit which can stand the recoil of another chamber being fired.

For a single shot .44 the amount of powder used can vary from somewhere around 16 to 40 grains.

For a .44 revolver the powder load can vary from 20 to 30 grains.

Assuming your pistol is a percussion gun it will use either #11 or #10 caps. The #11 caps will work on either but they often require pinching the open end down a bit to make them fit snuggle on the nipple. The one thing you definitely don't want to have on a revolver is a loose fitting cap because if one falls off during recoil leaving the nipple open for a flame to get thru. This can cause a multiple discharge known as a "chain fire" which can ruin the shooters day.

It is a revolver.I also found some of the roundballs I had they are .457. I looked on the possible shop and it looks like the 1858 army gun.The only difference is that mine is all brass except for the barrel. Thanks for all the help, I tried to upload a pic,but couldnt get it done.

OK, then you're shooting a brass frame 1858 Remington.(should look the the attached photo). Should use the .454 or .457 RB in front of 20-30 grains 3F or Pyrodex "P", #10 or #11 cap (whichever fits the nipple snugly) and either a 44 cal Wonder Wad between powder and ball or grease (i.e.Crisco) filling the cylinder over the ball. My Remmy shoots a max load of 35 grains but on a brass frame gun I would not make a regular practice of it.
These guns will surprise you with their accuracy. Recoil is mild, the smoke & smell glorious! If you need any more info feel free to PT me. Enjoy!
Oh, BTW...you need to send your pictures to a web hosting site such as Photobucket: www.photobucket.com
and create an album. Copy your pictures there, then the image tag can be easily attached to your posts, like this:
1858Rem.jpg

Again, feel free to PT with any questions about the process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back