• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

inexpensive spotting scope recommedations

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I often see used backyard science astronomy telescopes at auction. But they say anything over 60x is too much for target shooting, Why I don't know. But they seem to all be 60x when dedicated for target work.
Many telescopes intended for astronomical uses invert the image. This can be confusing.

While it's not what you asked for I always recommend a pair of high power binocs for ML shooting. If you are limiting your shooting to 100 yds which is max ML range for me I can pick out evey shot of my 50 out to that range. My reasonably priced Nikons go to 22X and discern the target no problem. The adavantage to binocs is that your not concerned about the spot scope moving on your bench ot taking up two benches but more impotantly you have a more universal optic than a spotting scope that does single duty.

While it's not what you asked for I always recommend a pair of high power binocs for ML shooting. If you are limiting your shooting to 100 yds which is max ML range for me I can pick out evey shot of my 50 out to that range. My reasonably priced Nikons go to 22X and discern the target no problem. The adavantage to binocs is that your not concerned about the spot scope moving on your bench ot taking up two benches but more impotantly you have a more universal optic than a spotting scope that does single duty.
I have a scope too, but I would have bought a pair of 12 or 15X binoculars to put on a tripod first for all-around range and hunting use if I had known how bad sitting on a hill out west for hours at a time looking through a scope sucks.

Two of my modern guns have 32x scopes on them.... So for just range time, one or both come along anyway, so I just set 'em up on bags and front rest in a convenient spot on the next bench over (the range I use has a TON of space and is never that crowded so using multiple spots isn't an issue 98.9% of the time)

There is a vast difference in optical clarity between my inexpensive scopes and my higher quality Mead scope. At the same magnification I can make out the holes of my 50 caliber rifles at 100 yards, but the view is sort of fuzzy. I can see the 36 caliber holes with my Mead spotting scope. I also have a wide telephoto (up to 160x) range camera that I use to document my shooting that is also able to see the holes at long ranges.

Quality optics have been part of my life a long time both professionally and by interest. There is a HUGE difference in the quality and most of the time it is reflected in the price. With high power optics like a spotting scope the quality, or lack of, will be readily apparent. The most common problems are distortion/ lack of sharpness at the edges and color fringing. Using these kind of lenses will cause eye fatigue and dissatisfaction for most folks. I insist on good optics and have returned lousy Chinese and (even worse) Russian optics.

I have used spotting scopes of various brands for a great many years. Bench shooting and when shooting long distances from 200 to 600 yards.

Spotting scopes are for great if you are shooting from a bench. OR, for others to observe while standing away from the shooting area.
Binos are iffy when trying to observe from longer distances. But are great for field use especially to observe game.

I believe my first was a Bushnell Sentry. Worked great from the bench at 100 yards. BUT, eye relief was poor. It seemed like a struggle.
But, it was clear. And needed more magnification.
This is just to make a point.

After you've tried a few from inexpensive to higher end you will begin to understand the real difference. If you can, see what others are using and ask it you can take a look. You do need a good quality spotting scope. Yes, they can be expensive. But, so are the rifles we shoot.

I've been using a Kowa since the 1990's. Before that several that were average but could not get close to the quality of the Kowa.
I would definitely go for the scope body that offers an angled eyepiece - usually 45'. Try and get an eyepiece that offers long eye relief - it really helps.
I base this from experience shooting longer distances and while shooting from different positions. Others may find straight body scopes more suitable.
BUT, you can't get past the need for quality optics, clarity, definition, and long eye relief.

My 8 X 42 Dietz binoculars are entirely sufficient for my ml target shooting but I usually use a spotting scope as well.

... inexpensive spotting scope...

Contradiction in terms.

Don't bother with an "inexpensive" spotting scope. You'll be throwing away your money. There is no such thing as "inexpensive" optics that are functional or usable. I brought a $200 Barksa scope with 5-star reviews and it was not usable on the range except at 25 yards. It was very dark and wouldn't focus sharply.

Now I have a Bushnell Forge spotting scope, and I got a very stable video tripod to go with it. I'm very happy with this scope.
I can see my shots on the paper target at 325 yards if there's not too much heat rising. But that's probably the max usable range for seeing bullet holes in a paper target.

Bushnell Forge
$1,100
https://www.bushnell.com/all-products-1/forge-spotting-scope/P01530.html

Vortex makes some great glass
I had the opportunity to test Vortex and Bushnell scopes at the same store.
High-end Vortex scopes are not nearly as good as Bushnell's scopes.

Last edited:
1984 or 85 while shooting in the nationals I bought a Champions choice spotting scope to read wind and be able to see .30 cal bullet holes at 300 yards, a 60x eyepiece. Cheapest scope they had. Still using it. Good and clear. For BP shooting one doesn't need an olympic grade scope, we just don't shoot that far. A basic scope with a 40 or 60x magnification should suffice for anything we might need to see at the distances that we normally shoot.

I posted this back in 2022, nothing has changed since.
I have a Kowa and a Konus, Kowa is the better of the two, have a 27 power long eye relief and a 20 X 60 zoom eye piece for it.

It is my go-to scope for the 500 yard rams.

I bought a Johnson surveyors tripod from Menards and mounted an adapter on it to hold the scope after struggling with the shaking in the wind with a conventional tripod. If you ever tried to shoot at Whittington Center in the wind you understand.

With optics I have found that you get what you pay for. The intended purpose is also key to your choice. I have a couple inexpensive scopes for unmentionables that suit my use perfectly. For spotting I usually use my wife's Zeiss spotting scope. She is a serious birder for many years. The light gathering abilities of quality optics always amazes me. With cheap optics you can look at an object in a tree and sometimes see it. With quality optics I find that I can see into the trees to what to the naked eye looks black. A decent pair of Nikon binoculars or similar will not break the bank and have multiple uses.

I use a a 10x 42 pair of good binoculars and I can see 40 cal at 175 maybe 200 but I don't think much further. That's as far as I shot and not very oftens. Good conditions help a lot.

I have a scope too, but I would have bought a pair of 12 or 15X binoculars to put on a tripod first for all-around range and hunting use if I had known how bad sitting on a hill out west for hours at a time looking through a scope sucks.
A well known hunter/writer said that using cheap binocs for hours will suck the eyeballs out of your head. I don't remember the author but David Petzal re-quoted them.

There are lots of options out there that will work for spotting bullet holes at normal ML distances. Just keep in mind that "good optics are not cheap & cheap optics are not good"!

A well known hunter/writer said that using cheap binocs for hours will suck the eyeballs out of your head. I don't remember the author but David Petzal re-quoted them.
He liked to quote Warren Page. Jack O'Connor...not so much. Maybe that explains my eyesight, or mebbe all the welding... or carb cleaner I'm always squirting in 'em. Pay more for glass than you want to.

I bought a cheap scope from Harbor Freight. Tried it. I took it back the next day. It just was not clear. I have a Bushnell scope and binoculars that I can see .40 call holes in the black at 100 yards. Doubles can be hard to see.

Back