• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Inexpensive flintlocks...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
paw--All due respect, however goon already said he has for himself a LYMAN and it goes bang every time and yes I and many others have LYMAN's and they go bang and they can shoot very accurately, so it makes sense if goon is looking for a "cheap" flintlock for his dad who HUNTS, he could not get better value than getting his dad a Lyman Great Plains Rifle in FLINTLOCK for about $460 bucks and he will have an accurate and very reliable shooter that also does not look too bad and is good gun for the money. I just cannot imagine goon finding a GOOD used flintlock of the custom or semi-custom variety for $468-$480 buck-a-roos...

I might not have been clear - I did have a Lyman Deerstalker .50 caliber a few years ago. I sold it - because for my own uses, I want something more traditional. I want another flintlock but I want something historically accurate that I can also use, so I probably won't buy one for myself until I can afford to at least get what I want. I figure $800 minimum - and I'll be haunting the classifieds here when I finally get to that point.

But for my dad... he definitely likes the traditional look, but he's mostly gonna be focused on how reliable and accurate it is. Even $480 for a new Lyman GPR is out of my league right now. But a forum member on here just let me in on a lead for a .54 caliber Lyman trade rifle for sale so I'm checking that option out. I really don't want to go "lower" than T/C or Lyman though just because I wouldn't want to give him an inferior muzzleloader.

As far as the law goes, the flintlock is the more logical choice if you can only afford one (That's me!) because it's legal for both muzzleloader seasons. Like I said, I'll check the regs.

Lyman guns are made by Investarms, the same outfit in Italy that makes some of Cabela's guns. particularly, I think their hawnken. I have had long guns from TC, Lyman, Investarms, Ultra Hi, Markwell, Marathon, Hopkins and Allen, CVA, Traditions, Century Arms, Palmetto and a couple of others. Of the production guns made, If I could find a big bore CVA Mountain Rifle in flint, I'd buy that first time everytime. Lyman GPR in flint would be my second choice and CVA Frontier in flint, with DST's (rather rare) would be my third choice followed by TC flinters.

Right now Traditions is running a sale on what some say are aUSTIN AND Halleck guns put together from parts when traditions bought aUSTIN AND hALLECK INVENTORY. sUPPOSED TO BE A GOOD PRICE.

"They don’t seem to realize that even the most expensive custom rifle has to be tweaked."

I am sure that Mr Brooks and the other long time builders will appreciate that insight,they have probaly been struggling up untill now.

Oh, indeed, if you are considering a Lyman Trade rifle in Flintlock, they can be had for $370 (I just googled and found one) or perhaps even less I would imagine. I guess I thought you 'needed' something a bit more "traditional" for your dad. However the Lyman Trade is a reliable and very accurate gun for the money and is great value.

goon said:
What can you guys tell me about the more inexpensive flintlocks like Traditions or CVA?
The only flintlock I've owned was a Lyman. I would buy another - that rifle ignited instantaneously when I pressed the trigger. Sharp flint & pinch of powder was as reliable any cartridge gun I've owned.

However, my dad is looking for a flintlock to get into muzzloader hunting. I'm thinking I might do some shopping around and try to get him one for his birthday, but I don't think I can swing a Lyman or T/C. What's the experience on the more low budget flintlocks?
He's not likely to shoot one like I would - meaning he'll probably be lucky to shoot more than a hundred or so shots out of it the whole time he owns it. He just really likes to hunt and I want to do something for him to thank him for being such a great father.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Never owned one, never will. :v

Yes you can beat $468 to $480 for a nice gun!

If you want to go the route of finding a used gun or some parts guns, this is what is possible. I decided to go to 54 cal instead of my current 50 cal rifles. I have about $400 in this gun with the barrel the hardest item to find. This one was $200 and is in unfired condition. Plus this is truly a $400 gun because there isn’t even any sales tax when purchasing parts from individuals. It is as easy or difficult as you want to make it. I have a cabinet shop and many years ago I switched exclusively to Minwax products. So this is possible by anyone with the local hardware store down the street. The stock was not in good shape nor was the brass. I stripped and sanded the wood and stained it with Minwax Mahogany stain and three coats of Minwax Tung Oil. I polished the brass to a mirror shine with a buffing wheel and red rouge. On this gun I applied satin polyurethane to the brass instead of my usual high gloss. The lock was and old style so I got a new cock from TC but the frizzen is sparking fine so I left it until it quits. This gun shoots fine and is the 15th one I have completed.

IMG_1962.jpg

IMG_1963.jpg

IMG_1966.jpg

IMG_1965.jpg

IMG_1967.jpg

Maybe Mr. Brooks' guns fall together without tweaking but I'll bet they don't.

That is a sweet looking rifle!

I know that in the past he's commented on the Hawken style, but that was years ago in my childhood. I only remember it because even as a kid, I was always practically staring the pictures out of the blackpowder section of Cabelas catalogs.

I wanted to surprise him but I might have to just be up front about it and get his input.

The point was obviously lost, no sense in continuing :shake:

Traditions flinters are good starter guns for people that only want to hunt or shoot with out going into the period/historical/reenactor/correct aspect of black powder. They are affordable and are of good enough quality to last for years if taken care of.

i have a traditions kentucky. Sparks beautifully, accurate and reliable for the past 5 years. Also had a cva, man that sucker was a shooter! Also no trouble with it. cva flinters though are a little harder to find.

i refinished mine though to what i liked,
kentuckyad2.jpg

tg said:
"They don’t seem to realize that even the most expensive custom rifle has to be tweaked."

I am sure that Mr Brooks and the other long time builders will appreciate that insight,they have probaly been struggling up untill now.
Now tg, I'm trying to stay out of this. :haha:
I have a new motto: "Buy the cheapest manure you can find" :thumbsup:
And no Mr. Biggs, my guns don't need "tweaked". You'll have to sight them in, but they work exceptionally well when you receive them, and that's mainly due to the best barrels and locks on the market and 30 years of building experience.

goon--please keep in mind those pictures are of his 15th rifle build project with alot (years) of sourcing experience. He may have done that one for $400 bucks but really, could you do that with your level of experience finding flintlock parts and building your own flintlock from various parts? ? Also is $400+ your budget or is it LESS than that. I guess I got the impression it was less than that, like $300-ish.

Just my musing on this topic.... :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

I must admit you have a point there. Ya gotta crawl before you can run!

Honestly, $300ish is my budget. It's kind of a moot point because my brother put a muzzleloader on layaway for Dad today (we're splitting it for his birthday present). I told him the usual things to check and to make sure the lock worked properly and sparked well - plus he's been buying guns as long as I have so I mostly trust his judgement.

But yeah, I get the point about how experience can play a huge role in making something from nothing. But I do have enough know how to sand down a scratched up stock and refinish it, maybe make some small mechanical repairs. Never fixed a muzzleloader but I've done some other home gunsmithing repairs.

Now I just gotta get details on what got put on layaway. It was apparently one that my dad was eyeing up before...

“And no Mr. Biggs, my guns don't need "tweaked". You'll have to sight them in, but they work exceptionally well when you receive them, and that's mainly due to the best barrels and locks on the market and 30 years of building experience.”

I have no doubt what so ever your rifles are top notch. Works of art is more closely accurate. My meaning was when you buy cheap guns you will probably need to “tweak” to get to a decent shootable level.
I can also so appreciate your guns have already received the (30 years of building experience) “tweaking” by you.
And that is one reason they are so valued by everyone.
I apologize if I have offended you.
But fact of the mater is Mike Brooks custom rifles are not for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back