• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Indian "Dags"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Owl

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Starting a new thread on suitable knives for those carried a NW Trade gun. Anyone make or carry a dag? I've thought about making one but it's in the bucket list.

I hope some folks chime in as I find this to be an interesting topic. Never made a dag myself but I did make a Highlander Skeen Doo (not spelled correctly) last week that is similar but a whole lot smaller. Might give a dag a go myself.

I made this one years ago. I was going for the modified beaver tail knife look.
IMG_4929.jpeg

As I understand it, the steel is supposed to be thin, most of the replicas are too thick. Not sure what kind of steel. I was thinking a machete that I cut to size. Any steel suggestions welcomed.

As I understand it, the steel is supposed to be thin, most of the replicas are too thick. Not sure what kind of steel. I was thinking a machete that I cut to size. Any steel suggestions welcomed.
I've been making a bunch of knives lately from old rusty hand saw blades. They are fairly thin, so I wouldn't want a nine inch blade, but they make a fine Skinner or patch knife. For a little bit thicker stock I scour the thrift stores and antique shops for old cross cut saws. They make a fine blade and for about fifteen bucks for a six foot saw ya get plenty of them. The machete idea should work fine too.

For whatever it's worth, I've used machete blades in the past for scalpers and butchers and they are "pretty good" which means probably about as good as the original steel but not as good as the steel in the Russell Green River knife series.
And... come to think of it, I've used them for copies of French Clasp friction folders and English penny knives.

Back