• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Indian Charleville M1777 AN IX

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im not sure I follow the issue with Pedersoli Butt plate. Here are two pictures of sealed patterns from the Paris Musse de l Armee (Les Invalides). Sorry for the bad light, its quite dark inside to preserve the sealed patterns.

S1140087.JPG
S1140091.JPG

Im not sure I follow the issue with Pedersoli Butt plate. Here are two pictures of sealed patterns from the Paris Musse de l Armee (Les Invalides). Sorry for the bad light, its quite dark inside to preserve the sealed patterns.

View attachment 319623View attachment 319624
I wasn’t talking about the Pedersoli butt plate. I was talking about the butt plate on the Indian made musket.

I'm very satisfied with my Pedersoli 1777 Charleville. It shot great out the box and I never looked back. So a vote for Pedersoli here.

Pedersoli’s 1777 pattern and 1816 muskets are very good reproductions, a little robust on the hardware but overall very well done, especially the year 9 musket.

The pedersoli 1777 from the rev war period in 1781 just needs some minor adjustments, The front band screw requires a lug to screw into, pedersoli just has it screw into the wood, not sure if they changed this. I’ve hand made some semi circle lugs and taped them for the screw, very easy to do and the clamped middle band tends to be slightly loose, this can fixed by simply filing where the bands join.

In all fairness the Italian makes could stand to loose a decent amount of wood as well. And the only way to make that lock look right would be to replace it. Butt plate is wrong also.

The butt stocks are also wrong, which is probably the reason why the butt plate is wrong. Too much of a straight edge.

French buttstocks had a slight swell which made them oval shaped, this brought the width outward, like a mild cheek rest. When they added the dish it was considered an easier method rather than fluting the butt stock. Of the four original butt plates i have, all are oval shaped.

Indian butt stocks, well not much right about any of those, you can literally find something wrong everywhere on them, even the trigger and band springs are wrong.

It's disappointing to hear about the issues with the barrel band and the oil on the stock, which can definitely detract from the overall appearance and feel of the musket. And you're right that the pan should ideally be tilted forward, which can affect the ease and reliability of ignition.
As you mentioned, these Indian muskets are a work in progress, and it's great that you're approaching the experience with a level of understanding and patience. With some time and attention, I'm sure you'll be able to make the necessary adjustments and enjoy shooting your new musket to its fullest potential.

Back