• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

In the squirrel woods.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Nice afternoon hunt.
Load chain was around 55gn of 4f and a big ounce of #5 shot. Tree thin cards plus one on the shot.
Got two, one jumped the shot and another was fortunate as my prime had gone damp!
IMG_20231210_150950.jpg

Batting 500 is pretty good, but Jess doesn't look impressed!!! ;) 🙂
When I was a dumb kid, as opposed to a dumb old eejit, I would climb a tree that we had observed a squirrel go in a drey and try and stab it with a long knife!
Never did get one but sometimes they would come out of their nest and charge at me, running up my arm and leaping off my head, savages they are!!

...sometimes they would come out of their nest and charge at me, running up my arm and leaping off my head, savages they are!!
Have had more than one squirrel dog squealing as it tried to remove a squirrel that was firmly hanging by teeth on the dog's lip! You are correct...dangerous, menacing savages!

there is a lot of BP myths out there. one is you can't use 4f for a main charge, it will blow up your gun! just not true. another is if the ball is not seated on the powder, yep, it will blow your gun up! not true! the other day i was shooting my 36cal. SMR and accidently shot it with a ball about 6in down the barrel with my short starter, in fact i have saw other shooters do this many times, sounds funny, real light pressure and will foul your barrel, that's all,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Back